Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just curious (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-curious-t133634.html)

klc 06-27-2011 04:44 PM

2nd generation. My mom was an excellent seamstress. She could make anything and do it perfect. I am only a dabbler. I do not sew clothes or anything that needs to fit. I do wish my mom was still around to see what I am doing now. I would love to absorb some of her knowledge now. I wasn't ready back then.

Jim's Gem 06-27-2011 04:46 PM

My mother sewed. In fact, I hated sewing until I had a couple of kids. However, she has never quilted and never will. She just doesn't see the point of cutting up fabric and sewing it back together when you can just go to JC Penney and buy a bed spread for $60.
As far as I know, I am the first quilter in my family (and still the only one)

Quiltinggma-nc 06-27-2011 05:08 PM

3rd generation. Both grandmothers were seamstresses. My maternal grandmother used to make me the most beautiful dresses when I was in grade school. You would have thought they were from a store. My paternal grandmother made her youngest daughter's (my aunt) wedding dress. My mom could sew but with six kids mostly did heming and mending. All she had time for. I learned to sew on a treadle machine.

maryb119 06-27-2011 05:11 PM

The women in my family have always been seamstresses. I have a hand sewn quilt made ny my GGGgrandmother by hand at the age of 17. It is something that ties us all together.

MonnaL 06-27-2011 05:13 PM

Actually, first generation. My mother did make me some dresses when I was young, and she did beautiful embroidery and tatting. But she called those things "lazy woman's work". Shaking head. She did teach me to embroider, though.

I've always loved handwork of any kind...crochet, knitting, etc. I taught myself from books.

However, I am pleased to report that BOTH of my daughters are quilters, and do beautiful work :) So proud of them, and we can talk for hours about our projects.

cjomomma 06-27-2011 05:17 PM

Both of my grandmothers were quilters, my parents are not but I am. My DD crochets (SP?)

erstan947 06-27-2011 05:31 PM

I'm at least 3rd generation. I'm sure beyond that is was part of surviving.

jillnjo 06-27-2011 05:37 PM

As far back as I know, so probably forever! My mother sewed everything we wore besides our undergarments and some of them I suppose! I inherited her love of sewing and quilting, my sis did not, but she is very artistic.

carrieg 06-27-2011 05:38 PM

I learned embroidery from my dad's mom. Grandma did a lot of sewing, but I took to the handwork from her. My mom couldn't thread a needle. And her mom died at 51, but she did do knitting.

What would you call a skipped generation? LOL

mustangquilts 06-27-2011 05:48 PM

4th or 5th. My one DGM was a seamstress and my mom made every little dress I wore till I got into Highschool and than I started making my own clothes. I made all my DH flannel shirts and made every flannel shirt and T-shirt for my 2 DS's until they started school and I returned to my career. I do miss making shirts but just do not have time due to my quilting every second I have to spare minute. I also have a piece of a quilt in a picture frame that my DGGG made.