Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   just curious (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-curious-t138436.html)

Jim's Gem 07-17-2011 08:27 PM

I made a muslin pattern for aprons and I did use a little 505 spray to help spread out the pieces nice and neat.

fabric whisperer 07-17-2011 08:30 PM

I wouldn't recommend it ~ but I do iron my pattern pieces to make them flatter, and if I have to do alterations, I use the pattern copying stuff in the interfacing section... that sticks to the fabric by itself really well, no mess, way less pins too

virtualbernie 07-17-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
I wouldn't recommend it ~ but I do iron my pattern pieces to make them flatter, and if I have to do alterations, I use the pattern copying stuff in the interfacing section... that sticks to the fabric by itself really well, no mess, way less pins too

That's what I use.

BellaBoo 07-17-2011 09:35 PM

I iron fusible interfacing to all my tissue patterns. They don't rip and much easier to work with and they last forever.

Lady Crafter 07-17-2011 10:00 PM

Not a good idea ....

katier825 07-18-2011 01:08 AM

The Dritz spray lists that as one of the things you can do with it. I did use it once when cutting out a teddy bear of the fur type fabric. It was my first experience with spray. I found that if I sprayed just a dot on the fabric, then put the pattern down it was ok. No problem peeling the pattern piece off after. My hands were quite sticky though. I must have used the rest on quilts and have not bought the Dritz again. I usually get the June Tailor.

leatheflea 07-18-2011 01:58 AM

I make patterns out of newspaper paper still on the roll not printed, they give the stuff away by the roll at our local newspaper. Anyway I spray basting spray right on the paper and it works great! No pinning required.

blueangel 07-18-2011 03:01 AM

No I don't think would use it.

susie-susie-susie 07-18-2011 06:09 AM

This reply is for blutedie--get a glue stick--works much better for small pieces and I got several in the scrapbook section of WalMart for $1 each. Called the company (Scotch) and was told that all their glue sticks were water soluable. Didn't say on the package.
Sue

collady 07-18-2011 06:36 AM

I have used spray when making satin, silk, or velvet evening gowns. I spray a very lightly on the back or the fabric, then place the pattern on the back side of the fabric. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS test on a scrap of fabric first to make sure it does not stain.
I don't remember which spray I have used. It has been at more than 10 years since I have made an evening gown, so I don't remember much about how I did it. Just a tiny bit of spray and then lightly smoothed the pattern onto the back of the fabric. I think I used a spray that went away in the air, so it wasn't sticky. However, all the gowns were lined.