Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just a little advice on how to read a pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-little-advice-how-read-pattern-t116683.html)

Quiltforme 04-16-2011 06:16 PM

REREAD IT!!! I know we all know this we are all great quilters with very intelligent minds! I just cannot believe how this happened. Yesterday I made 4 pillowcases using the roll method from www.allpeoplequilt.com. Well the pattern called for 7/8 yard of your main material and 3/8 yard of your secondary material. well I took this as meaning 31.5 of my firemen and 13.5 of my firehat materials. which made the pillowcase very long (the size of a queen size pillowcase!) Well today I decided to check just one more time I had read the directions for at least 3 days because I have never made them before and I just wanted to make sure I did not make any mistakes (ha,ha) Well there it was on page 2. Use 26.5 inches of your 1st fabric and 10.5 of your secondary fabric. So I made the pillow cases 7 inces too long!!!! Yes laugh it was funny my husband kept saying are you sure they are supposed to be that long. I kept saying yes because really who wants to be wrong infront of they DH!! So to all who go by patterns PLEASE REREAD them I wasted 28"s of material because of this mistake.

(Or if you look at it another way i discovered how to make queen size pillowcases just ask and I will tell you :))

I want to say thank you to all who have been so supportive of my quilt and these pillowcases. I have been dealing with a mild case of depression (thank God for celexa!) and this was the first things in a few months that I have made and really enjoyed!!! Take care!!! Jade

LoriEl 04-16-2011 06:18 PM

Rather have them too long than too short! Did you post pics anywhere?

erstan947 04-16-2011 06:21 PM

:thumbup: We all make errors. I made 6 Bow Tuck purses and the 7th one I knew what I was doing........I made the biggest mess out of it. I could have made 3 in the amount of time I spent redoing it. We live and learn.:) Happy you are felling better.

dglvr 04-16-2011 06:30 PM

Laughing with ya Jade not at ya. I'd be here all night telling all my mistakes. Thats how we learn. And thats how we laugh at ourselves. Trust me I laugh alot. :mrgreen: I bet your pillowcases are beautiful :thumbup:

GwynR 04-16-2011 06:32 PM

Buy yourself some brand new queen size pillows to go in those cases! :-)

quiltingnonie 04-16-2011 06:35 PM

One of my bad habits, is not to read the pattern ALL THE THROUGH before starting. That has got me into some fine fixes on occasion :roll:

CoventryUK 04-17-2011 12:15 AM

Haha!! This is me!!! I'm a Taurus and usually dive into things headfirst!! Quickly glance through patterns then off I go..... get into a mess ....go back and read instructions!!! Duh!!!! Never learn!!

saf 04-17-2011 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
REREAD IT!!! I know we all know this we are all great quilters with very intelligent minds! I just cannot believe how this happened. Yesterday I made 4 pillowcases using the roll method from www.allpeoplequilt.com. Well the pattern called for 7/8 yard of your main material and 3/8 yard of your secondary material. well I took this as meaning 31.5 of my firemen and 13.5 of my firehat materials. which made the pillowcase very long (the size of a queen size pillowcase!) Well today I decided to check just one more time I had read the directions for at least 3 days because I have never made them before and I just wanted to make sure I did not make any mistakes (ha,ha) Well there it was on page 2. Use 26.5 inches of your 1st fabric and 10.5 of your secondary fabric. So I made the pillow cases 7 inces too long!!!! Yes laugh it was funny my husband kept saying are you sure they are supposed to be that long. I kept saying yes because really who wants to be wrong infront of they DH!! So to all who go by patterns PLEASE REREAD them I wasted 28"s of material because of this mistake.

(Or if you look at it another way i discovered how to make queen size pillowcases just ask and I will tell you :))

I want to say thank you to all who have been so supportive of my quilt and these pillowcases. I have been dealing with a mild case of depression (thank God for celexa!) and this was the first things in a few months that I have made and really enjoyed!!! Take care!!! Jade

You mean you're supposed to read all the instructions/recipe/directions before you start!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

watterstide 04-17-2011 02:24 AM

Let me tell you why i have to read {b]and Follow[/b] directions.

On a pattern kit i was making from connection threads..it was the making hst's (Half Square Triangles)..i read the directions, and read them again..and thought to myself..
"that is silly, i know a better and faster way to make them!"
so i did, and when i started sewing them to the cute Easter Bunny table topper, the hst's did not fit the border..they were WRONG!
so smarty pants me, will not only read and re-read the directions, i will make the blocks like they tell you to!

mltquilt 04-17-2011 05:30 AM

I am one of those individuals that has to read instructions, bet is quilting, cookings, new toys for the kitchen, etc. However, DH thinks instructions are a waste of time and just starts doing things. Pictures are fine but I need steps telling me to do this, this, and this, etc.

mltquilt