Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   just a warning.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-warning-t147869.html)

rwilso2 08-26-2011 03:38 AM

Tell me the snake was in Texas. I may never go to a yard sale again. I would die on the spot if I found myself in a car with a snake, it wouldn't have to bite me.

lillybeck 08-26-2011 03:43 AM

Bed bugs like head lice should not make anyone be treated badly. Head llice do not come from dirtiness and neither do bed bugs. There has been an epidemic of both in the world lately and all you can do is clean up the mess and go on.
Anyone who iis treating your sister badly because of this should be ashamed of themselves. I know of very well off people that have had to deal with both of these issues and sad to say these things are part of life. I will pray for you sister to get her home restored and be safe and secure.

quiltymom 08-26-2011 03:44 AM

I watched on TV about bed bugs in motels. I won't stay in them because of that reason !!! Big warm hugs to your sister.

Sharon-OH 08-26-2011 04:15 AM

So very sorry to hear about your sis. Bed bugs are awful creatures. I worked in a hardware store and we could not keep the bed bug spray products in stock. They are expensive and not sure if they really worked. We were told that the bugs can hibernate up to 18 months. Heard too many stories of customers having to get rid of everything. A lot of antique furniture. It isn't your sister fault at all. You can get bed bugs from any where, your doctors office, the grocery store, rental cars, just any where people are. We also sold a lot of hand steamers so people could steam items that could not fit into the dryer. Please give your sis a big hug, things will get better.

Caroline ritze 08-26-2011 04:15 AM

My friend purchased a bedroom set at a nice furniture store and a couple of days later she noticed bugs on the frame. It had bugs in the wood and was from China. They came and got the furniture and offered her a receipt to purchase something else but would not return her money. Check everything before you take it into your home. She may want to have her birds checked to be sure that they are not carring the eggs and will have a return of the bugs.
This is so sad but when we get delivery we have to check everything even the bags from the grocery store for other bugs. There are not enough restrictions on imports.

Traditional 08-26-2011 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaBabs
I do not want people to think i'm a wet blanket for writing this... but PLEASE be sure that if you buy fabric, blankets, clothing and especially furniture at yard slaes or estate sales....you WASH and dry in very high heat all of the fabric items... as for the furniture, i'm not sure... My reason being........... my SIS... who has gotten some fantastic fabric and other items this way.... purchased a beautiful, not too used looking chair at a very nice consignment shop... after a few months... she found "bed type bugs".... she has had to have a total fummigation TWICE... this was a ton of work for someone with a disability... next week they are going to "HEAT" her house to about 160degrees, to be sure they are gone....this means finding a place for her birds to go as well..... This has been a nightmare... they took her bed (they had gotten into the frame)and cut up and disposed of her chair that she loved.... they came in via. the chair...She's been told they like to hid in the folds of fabrics and are horrible to get rid of once they enter your home...I Love seeing all the great bargins of fabric and figure that lots of "our children" (mine will be some)... are left with the collections of their parents... and we never know just where this stuff was kept or how long it was around.... so... Just be careful,,, the washing is a given, i'm sure, but the "hot" drying, might be a good idea... regardless of the shrinkage issue.... hope this is taken as a helpful suggestion.... My Sis is without a bed and chair until she can afford one...we "skyped" last night and she was crying and saying she's never had much, but she never really felt as poor and ashamed as she does now... people are even treating her differently.. she is a person that does so much for others and it's so unfair ...............

I am so sorry that this happened to your sister. Your information may save someone from the expensive problem I saw a news program the cost of getting rid of beg bugs depending on where you live thousands of dollars.They suggested when you buy new clothes to go directly to the washing machine. I get so nervous when we go to a motel and come home . I have the Today show on now and the topic is College/bed bugs.
Thanks for reminding us of this problem.

doll-lady 08-26-2011 04:24 AM

i read in our newspaper a while back that you can even bring them in on new clothes from the mall, that some of the stores have the same problems.

doglover 08-26-2011 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaBabs
I do not want people to think i'm a wet blanket for writing this... but PLEASE be sure that if you buy fabric, blankets, clothing and especially furniture at yard slaes or estate sales....you WASH and dry in very high heat all of the fabric items... as for the furniture, i'm not sure... My reason being........... my SIS... who has gotten some fantastic fabric and other items this way.... purchased a beautiful, not too used looking chair at a very nice consignment shop... after a few months... she found "bed type bugs".... she has had to have a total fummigation TWICE... this was a ton of work for someone with a disability... next week they are going to "HEAT" her house to about 160degrees, to be sure they are gone....this means finding a place for her birds to go as well..... This has been a nightmare... they took her bed (they had gotten into the frame)and cut up and disposed of her chair that she loved.... they came in via. the chair...She's been told they like to hid in the folds of fabrics and are horrible to get rid of once they enter your home...I Love seeing all the great bargins of fabric and figure that lots of "our children" (mine will be some)... are left with the collections of their parents... and we never know just where this stuff was kept or how long it was around.... so... Just be careful,,, the washing is a given, i'm sure, but the "hot" drying, might be a good idea... regardless of the shrinkage issue.... hope this is taken as a helpful suggestion.... My Sis is without a bed and chair until she can afford one...we "skyped" last night and she was crying and saying she's never had much, but she never really felt as poor and ashamed as she does now... people are even treating her differently.. she is a person that does so much for others and it's so unfair ...............

Please tell your sister that bed bugs knows no class of people and they are everywhere now. If you watch the news about bed bugs, you get scared to even go to the grocery store anymore. I wish there was something I could do to help her.
dog lover

Freebird 08-26-2011 04:33 AM

Hi everyone, Although I dont post, I read your shares every day and learn much!! Now, onto this post, bedbugs HAVE to be treated with heat from a dryer. We had an expert come out, to our apt. building and give a talk on how to prevent and get rid of the bugs. He said to throw anything you buy, new or not, in the dryer for 15 mins. Doesnt have to be washed. As for furniture that is infested, it should be plastic wrapped and taped and marked as infested so that others wont take it. You can check yourself, for bugs, by using a LCD flashlight, along seams, door frames, etc. Also, look online for guidelines on getting rid of these pests. Fumigation was not recommended, as it doesnt reach all the places they hide. Spraying with certain chemicals is what is used, as well as a powder that goes in electrical outlets. Sounds like fun huh? yuk I hate bugs period.

hikingquilter 08-26-2011 04:36 AM

You are NOT being a wet blanket. This is good information and a warning for all. It is not a good idea to purchase used upholstered furniture from anywhere. And if you buy dressers and such, be sure to clean and fumigate them before bringing them into your home.