Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just wondering...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-wondering-t122316.html)

linz83 05-11-2011 07:14 AM

I think alot of ppl that have a fear are ppl that haven't flown. ?
I went on my first plane trip ever 2 yrs ago and even tho i was going across the country and leaving my children for a week and going where I'd never been, I was MOST stressed about flying!
I realized once on board It was just like anything else, and would do it again anytime :D

QKO 05-11-2011 07:14 AM

I used to have a dread fear of flying, back in my 20's. And I had to fly for work.

My solution was to take flying lessons and get a private pilot license. That's long lapsed because of the expense, but it got me over the fear.

Basically you just have to go and take a couple trips to get over it, I think.

The worst part about flying nowadays is getting from the car to the airplane, with all the stupid rules, hassle, personal intrusions, etc they have at the airport.

Airlines used to offer classes for people who feared flying. I imagine those went away with budget constraints though. Might want to check around in your area to see if anyone offers them.

Kehoeta 05-11-2011 07:17 AM

Love to Fly. Took pilot lessons - ran out of money before I could get licensed.. But everychance I get to go - I'm there.

TShooters 05-11-2011 07:18 AM

Big time! I don't even like to get on a step stool. I have flown on airliners in the past, but I really have to give myself a talking to before boarding. No way I can sit by the window and see the plane leave the runway...much less feel it. And I will NOT fly longer than my bladder can stand. Not about to bounce around in the tiny bathroom on a plane in the air.

Hubby loves to fly (Air Force Vet), and says I'd love to fly in a small plane. NO WAY! If it's my time, I want a lot of people going with me! (J/K)

Quilter7x 05-11-2011 07:20 AM

I love to fly in an airplane! I always get a window seat so I can look out the window. Love the take off, the landing and everything in between!

P.S. I flew on Jet Blue recently and discovered that they have "wider seats" for those of us with "wider seats"! :lol:

jmabby 05-11-2011 07:34 AM

I don't like flying because of people being so close to everyone, hate it. Flying itself is good.

wolfkitty 05-11-2011 07:38 AM

I love to fly! I'm still fascinated by the view, even after all these years!

bj 05-11-2011 07:43 AM

I don't mind the actual flying at all. It's all the stress of getting there so early, going through security, maybe missing a connection, delayed takeoffs.....but the flying itself is good. Most of the places I go are 5-6 hr drives. I figure I can drive it almost as fast and then I have my own car when I get there. The first time I flew (many years ago) I was in college and hadn't seen my folks in over a year. I had a connecting flight in Chicago. Nobody told me there could more than one terminal. I couldn't find my gate or anyone very helpful, so I just sat in the middle of the walkway and started crying. This really nice older guy asked my problem. I told him I couldn't find my gate. He took me to the right terminal and gate and sat with me until my plane got there. We had a very nice visit for about an hour! Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers. :-D :-D

debcavan 05-11-2011 07:45 AM

An airplane is unnatural. How can something that big even get off the ground. A Harley is just a grown up bicycle. We understand the physics of that. But our minds don't grasp so intuatively the physics of a plane flying. So it is a natural fear.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-11-2011 07:48 AM

I'm with Quilter7X. I love to fly. Looking out the window is such great fun. Flying over Nebraska is a hoot. With center pivot irrigation, all the corn fields are round so it looks like giant polka dots.