Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Kindle, Nook, Ipad, tablet. What works best for download (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kindle-nook-ipad-tablet-what-works-best-download-t260935.html)

quilterchibb 02-07-2015 05:16 PM

I have the kindle keyboard, a nook tablet, and a ipad. I like the kindle for reading outside and when I don't have wifi, it has free 3G. The iPad is nice for reading at night, I don't have to keep a light on to read. I don't use the nook anymore because as a tablet it doesn't compare to the iPad but if all I was going to do with it was read it's ok. I guess it depends on where you want to read and what else you want to use your reader for.

Jeanne S 02-07-2015 07:45 PM

I have an older kindle and an ipad. With the kindle app on my iPad I can read my books on either one, but I much prefer the black and white Kindle screen as it is easier on the eyes. And for travel I like the Kindle because the battery will last almost 2 weeks without charging whereas my iPad needs charging after just a day or two at most.

nanacc 02-07-2015 07:52 PM

My DD reads more than any of you could realize. She now has the Ipad Air and besides a full library of books, she has thousands of songs, her complete recipe book, and that is just a very few items!! Hers is like an appendage to her body...never without it! My Hubby has one also and has his entire service and parts manuals for combines and cotton strippers on his. He never complains about waiting for me at JoAnn's(like today) as long as he has his Ipad! I have a Nook and have all my books on my MacBook Air, laptop, and Iphone.

BerninaGirl 02-07-2015 07:55 PM

I love my iPad mini for reading books.
Small enough to take places and dependable.

lwbuchholz 02-08-2015 04:03 AM

I have a Sony e reader and an older kindle. One of my biggest complaints with the Sony is it has a touch screen and when I reach over it and accidently brush it with my sleeve it will change pages on me and I have to find where I left off. I think I would like the notebook better. It has color, but I haven't tried one yet. I love having all those books on hand in such a small space.
Lynda

quilttiger 02-08-2015 04:39 AM

I have Kindle on my mini iPad and love it. I can adjust the font, amount of back light, etc. I've learned how to use the stylus to highlight words and passages. Even remove the highlighting, too, LOL. I can borrow eBooks from the library.

notmorecraft 02-08-2015 04:50 AM

I have the kindle paper white, a Samsung tablet and the latest iPad. For reading I prefer my kindle. The paper white has the screen that lets you read in any light, from bright sunlight, to being able to read in the middle of the night without the need for a light. This lets me read in bed if I can't sleep without disturbing my husband. I bought the waterproof cover so that I can lie on a float in the pool on holiday as well. Kindle books I get from Amazon, as well as my favourite authors I take advantage of free or low priced offers to try out different authors.

ptquilts 02-08-2015 05:03 AM

I started out with a Kindle app on my netbook, finally broke down and bought a basic Kindle for $49 (on sale Thanksgiving, they may still be that price). I love it. I have mastered getting books from the library. It is hard to find free e-books on Amazon unless you want to read the latest romance novels, but I use Project Gutenberg to find the book, then copy the title onto Amazon, and there it is. I like older books.

cookiemonster 02-08-2015 05:26 AM

I went through that research as a Xmas gift. Laptop is my preference, which does many of all the functions you describe. We have a local library that you can download free books. Was lucky enough to find a tablet after waiting for the right price to come along. Tablet has it's limitations but can download, and save it books.

Kindle is going out of fashion, so perhaps prices will be more favorable for you.. After looking into it, I found there be costs on top of buying the device. Membership fees, price of books, the freebies aren't the greatest. When I can obtain books from yard sales, all over for next to nothing.

Just my intake on the products. Of course a new basic sewing machine be interesting also..

jolo 02-08-2015 05:50 AM

I have both a kindle and nook . I prefer my kindle to down load free books it is easier for me . I am not very computer literate .lol I am slowly learning how to use my nook. lol jo