Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   kitchen countertops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-countertops-t284800.html)

Scraps 12-29-2016 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting (Post 7728352)
Does anyone here have black counter tops in your kitchen? Are you happy with them? pros and cons?

Son & wife have black granite with specks of gold and the counter tops are GORGEOUS! Busy family & island use. Clean up beautifully!

Scraps 12-29-2016 08:14 PM

Microwave is not the same material as for a counter top. :-)

2manyhobbies 12-30-2016 04:23 AM

I have black granite in my new condo and I'm not a fan. First, I don't like granite. Second, I don't like the dark tops, third, I used my island in our old house to cut fabric. I use a cutting board of course, but I just don't like slipperiness of granite. Fourth, granite streaks, especially black granite. We're changing the island to wood.

Kris P 12-30-2016 05:14 AM

I have black granite with gray variations in my kitchen, too. Love love love them. Yes, smudges show, but I want my countertops to BE clean; not just look clean. I use windex to clean them when I'm having guests. Usually, just wiping down with the dish cloth does the trick, though. Now cleaning my stainless steel toaster is another problem entirely. So glad my fridge isn't stainless... what a mess!

lovelyl 12-30-2016 05:22 AM

I have black countertops (swirled with a dark tan) and a black sink and love them both! No problems with them looking clean.

kittiebug 12-30-2016 06:01 AM

I had them in my other house :thumbdown: not happy.

misspriss 12-30-2016 06:10 AM

Same with a black cook top.

tessagin 12-30-2016 06:30 AM

If one follows the directions for cleaning 'brand new" black granite tops, there shouldn't be a problem. Now if you buy a previously occupied home with granite countertops that will depend on how the owner cared for them. I personally don't need a "slick shiny" countertop. I want one I can use on a daily basis with out worrying how it looks after I've just cleaned it. I have shown many homes with slick shiny granite countertops that need 'polishing'. Multi-colored is the way I would go. ANy solid will show more indiscretions.

QuiltE 12-30-2016 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7728911)
If one follows the directions for cleaning 'brand new" black granite tops, there shouldn't be a problem. Now if you buy a previously occupied home with granite countertops ...............

Keep in mind ... not every home has granite counter tops!
There are many other options/possibilities. At least, in Canada there are.

Maybe the USA all have granite?

Though I kind of doubt it ......

flikkem 12-30-2016 07:08 AM

Countertops

Black countertops are often very high maintenance. My friend has them and hates the upkeep to keep them looking nice. I am so glad I decided against them. My countertops are a variegated granite. They hide things so well that when wiping the counters I have found whole coffee beans I did not see.