Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Kitchen Disasters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-disasters-t18832.html)

G-Maw Wilda 04-11-2009 09:55 PM

When I first started to cook I decided to make home made biscuits, I mixed the flour, baking powder, salt, shortening and milk together. Then I rolled them out and baked them. I was so proud of them that I took some to my mother. She said, "oh, you brought me some cookies". I told her they were biscuits not cookies, I had rolled them too thin. I now make a pretty good home made biscuit, and they don't get mistaken for cookies anymore.

tlrnhi 04-12-2009 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by judee0624
This isn't from learning anything new,except that I did. I never knew that potatoes could explode until one did - in my brand NEW oven! I guess it just couldn't take the heat. I had poked it as usual. Now I know why people wrap them in foil. What a mess! Dinner was delayed and I will use the microwave on potatoes from now on!

I always stab my potatoes to death, so hubby says. Then sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and toss in oven. Never had one explode. Had it happen in microwave when I forgot to stab one to death lol

Chele 04-12-2009 06:06 AM

My parents remodeled my childhood home when I was growing up. All of my dad's friends would come over and help and my mom and I cooked meals for them. One evening we made a gigantic pot of beef stew to serve. Somehow a large cricket had landed in the stew and boiled for a while. It turned bright red like a lobster. Mom and I were horrified, but we ladled the cricket out and served the stew. Needless to say, my mom and I filled up on salad and cornbread! We still laugh about "Cricket Stew."

Darlene 04-12-2009 06:26 AM

When we were first married we had no stove just an electric skillet and a coffee percolator electric. So I decided to make DH some pancakes but got the big idea to make one big one. Needless to say it didn't get done in the middle and he still kids me about it after 45 years.LOL There have been a lot of mistakes since then too.

Rhonda 04-12-2009 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by judee0624
This isn't from learning anything new,except that I did. I never knew that potatoes could explode until one did - in my brand NEW oven! I guess it just couldn't take the heat. I had poked it as usual. Now I know why people wrap them in foil. What a mess! Dinner was delayed and I will use the microwave on potatoes from now on!

I sometimes bake potatoes in foil in the oven. We slice them and place butter between the slices.Then put in foil salt and close the foil Put the foil wrapped potatoes in a pan so it won't drip on your oven.

This is a favorite of ours and you don't get the exploding potatoes. Yes I have had potatoes explode but I still much prefer oven baked potatoes they just taste better.

dunster 04-12-2009 08:21 AM

I made a pecan pie but accidentally used molasses instead of corn syrup. Yeeccch! My wonderful husband felt so sorry for me that he made me another pie, and he had never made a pie before.

julie 04-12-2009 10:30 AM

Rhonda,

julie 04-12-2009 10:32 AM

Sorry, My DH got me a new laptop and I'm still negotiating my way around it.
Anyway, Rhonda, I seem to usually forget the last tray or 2. I just figure that's my offering to the Oven Gods. LOL

julie 04-12-2009 10:32 AM

Sorry, My DH got me a new laptop and I'm still negotiating my way around it.
Anyway, Rhonda, I seem to usually forget the last tray or 2. I just figure that's my offering to the Oven Gods. LOL

julie 04-12-2009 10:38 AM

I had a recipe for Beef And Noodles I wanted to try. The roast was to cook for a couple hours, then shred it, add the noodles, simmer for a while, add spices,then serve.
Everything was going great, smelled wonderful, everyone could hardly wait. Then I added the spices one of which was cloves. The smell immediately changed to the strong odor of cloves. Everyone gamely tried to eat it, but it was AWFUL!
Needless to say, we threw it out, and I haven't tried that recipe again.