Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Knee replacement - yeah or nay (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/knee-replacement-yeah-nay-t51861.html)

Rann 10-04-2010 04:32 PM

Had mine done in Jan and Feb 2009. No problems except I can't sit on them. Would recommend highly. The ones I have (Stryker) have something like a silicone pad between the top and bottom and these can be replaced without cutting more bone and replacing it. Your weight, etc., determines how long they last. Highly recommend. I'm glad to get rid of the pain.

bluteddi 10-04-2010 04:39 PM

they have improved the surg and the replacement part these days.... I have a friend that had the total knee replacement last year and he is riding ATV/horses, snow sking and just about anything he wants.. the new procedures make the surg much easier to get over it post op.....
Same for the Hip... SIL had it done and she wishes she had done it sooner!!!! she walks, ski and everthing without pain!

I say go for it....

GGquilts 10-04-2010 06:33 PM

My DH had it done 2 years ago great results, just make sure she has a good Dr.

Aussie Quilter 10-06-2010 01:34 AM

My 93 year old aunt had both hips, and both knees replaced when she was in her 70's. She still walks 4 km a day.

Cat18 10-07-2010 09:17 AM

Thank you for all your positive responses! My 27-year-old daughter's surgery (total knee replacement) is scheduled for October 27. She has seen a second orthopedist, who tried the injection again. Didn't work. He recommended her to another orthopedist in Jackson, WY, who has done many knee replacements. After examining her x-rays and mri again, he said that the bones are actually making "a groove" by rubbing together.

Wednesday she went to an informational session at the hospital. There were 4 prospective patients there. Participating in the session were the doctor, physical therapist, pre-surgical and post-surgical nurses, etc. They explained what to expect at each stage of the process, including the warning that the first few days/weeks are painful.

She is also getting a Stryker knee replacement for women. The replacement knee may last 20-30 years (longer than the original one!). She is feeling very confident now and is lining up a walker and crutches! She's looking forward to ski-ing and snowboarding before the season ends!

campion 10-07-2010 09:42 AM

Well done gald you had it done I had one of mine done last October and will have the other done next February,the re hab is hard going but you have to do it!!! It's much better walking pain free, I am 68 so I'm glad I didn't wait till I was much older

grannyp70 10-07-2010 01:44 PM

Hi there, I have had both my knees replaced a year apart, it was worth it for me, I am 70 ys old, it has helped me a great deal, I can't bend down or get on my knees anymore but thats alright with me, I had mine done 6 years ago. but they have a new way of doing it now that they don't have to cut the knee like they use to and it only takes about 3 weeks off your feet. But I will say that your daughter does need to have that done at this point if not it will be a lot worse later on to have it done. I waited 3 years before I had mine done and boy let me tell you it sure wasn't easy to go through. Hope she has really good luck with hers. Best wishes

skothing 10-07-2010 02:51 PM

May 3 I had my 2nd knee replaced. I went to a different doc this time. Six yrs ago I had the left done. Bone on bone is so very painful as I can't explain. The surgery has come a great way since I first had it done. There are always stories of good and bad. I my case I went into a rehab nursing home for 2 weeks to have therapy 3 times a day. Rehab is painful but recovery depends on doing what you are told to do. Men are awful about not do the exercises to get better. The knee has a limited time to regain the mobility of movement. It all depends on the patient. Good luck. I work full time driving a school bus my right knee hurts still but it is less than before. The pain today is less than last week.

Cat18 11-01-2010 05:57 PM

Thank you everyone! My daughter had her knee replacement surgery last Wednesday and is doing very well. She can already bend it 55 degrees and is working hard on rebuilding the muscle. Therapy is tough, but she is really excited to be making such good progress. Thank you again for all your input and good wishes!

mountain-moma 11-01-2010 06:31 PM

So glad she is doing good..I wish her all the best