Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Know your weed killer! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/know-your-weed-killer-t263843.html)

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-10-2015 09:32 AM

Know your weed killer!

here on the east coast, the Dr Oz show discussed "Roundup" on a show this week. hope you all saw it. Roundup is a known carcinogen according to scientists and the manufacturer is denying it because it is one of their best selling products. [in the billions i might add] Sounds like it is following in DDT's footsteps. How unfortunate for us and future generations that $$$ take precedence on such issues....

Tartan 04-10-2015 09:53 AM

We don't use herbicides of pesticides on our lawn.

bee3 04-10-2015 09:57 AM

Glad they are bringing all these poisons to light. That poor family that was on vacation and all got poisoned, the boys and dad were still in a coma i think. The lymphoma website has said its one of the leading causes of non hodgkins lymphoma but no one can fight Monsanto, the more people spray, the more money they make. So many people think pesticides are good, but it alters the natural eco system that would ordinarily have its own defenses, and kills beneficial bugs, constantly causing weakening in the eco system, not to mention poisoning streams, wildlife and humans. People spray yards and homes and get on a maintenance plan, thats so the sprayers can make money. If they must use these toxic chemicals, they should only use as needed. Not to mention how many dogs in yards have gotten cancer and or died while their yards were being routinely sprayed. These applicators tell you this stuff is safe as soon as it is dry, really? Are they research scientists? How can peaticides and safe be used in the same sentence..

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-10-2015 10:03 AM

the sad part is, even if you don't buy it or use it you are still breathing it! Roundup has been banned in one of the Dutch countries -- i think it is Netherlands -- 1 in 2 men will get cancer in their life and 1 in 3 women will also.....

nativetexan 04-10-2015 11:18 AM

I still see commercials with professionals spraying someone's lawn, wearing regular clothing and shoes and walking forward as they spray for weeds, bugs, etc. When i spray for dandelion's, I walk backward and don't spray on windy days either. I hate chemicals but do use them. carefully.

ManiacQuilter2 04-10-2015 11:38 AM

GEE WIZ. I always used Roundup to kill the weeds in my yard. I am now in an apt and don't use it anymore. Wonder what the maintenance people use.

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-10-2015 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7160410)
I still see commercials with professionals spraying someone's lawn, wearing regular clothing and shoes and walking forward as they spray for weeds, bugs, etc. When i spray for dandelion's, I walk backward and don't spray on windy days either. I hate chemicals but do use them. carefully.

they want you to believe it's safe, -- when it rains, or you turn on sprinklers, it is leaching into the soil and the water table below ground, and eventually you are drinking it....

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-10-2015 11:58 AM

what bugs me the most is that there has to be a natural alternative, but apparently it doesn't make as much $$ as chemicals that kill... and if you're buying/eating organic b/c you think it's safer -- it isn't -- if there is a farm nearby that uses chemicals!!! and chances are there is! it will eventually reach surrounding farms/soil/water...it's very scary to learn that the EPA is just now reopening an investigation into Roundup!

lynnie 04-10-2015 12:24 PM

thanks for the information. very interesting

KenmoreGal2 04-10-2015 01:04 PM

I use pesticides and herbicides very rarely. I prefer to pull weeds than poison them but sometimes I just can't kill them manually.

I've always thought the company name "Chem Lawn" is such an odd choice. Who would want a lawn full of chemicals?