Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Laid off.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/laid-off-t20122.html)

Kyiav10 05-14-2009 10:47 AM

I am so sorry to see this. My thoughts and well wishes are being sent.

Kyia

Ducky 05-14-2009 10:53 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about the layoff and I pray you find something soon. I know from experience that it's a scary place to be, especially if you're worrying about your husband's job safety at the same time. Good energy being sent your way.

I've been scared for the little engineering company I work at (there's only three of us). Business is so slow. Just found out that my work week will be cut from 5 days to 4. The upside aspects of this are that I still have a job (less money, but still a job!), I get a three-day weekend every weekend (yeah!), I can spend a quiet day at home with only the cats and dog doing my quilting, and I can try to get throws, small quilts and wall hangings done to see if I can sell them by word of mouth and craft shows.....and I get an extra day to see my granddaughter!

littlehud 05-14-2009 07:34 PM

I am so sorry for the layoff. I too wonder if the CEO's are feeling it too. We lost half our staff three months ago and found out soon after the CEO got a very big bonus and our vice presidents were going to a training session in Hawaii. Didn't go over well. It's sad times. I will send prayers your way.

ScubaK 05-14-2009 07:50 PM

I was laid off over 2 years ago and took job after job...then found this one that I have been at for 18 months....
Yesterday they told me they were putting back start times by a half hour, then today then are going to an hour....
Doesn't give one much time to get things going and they have also cut vacation and med benefits.
This is really hurting long term employees...
Is starting to make me scared and wanting to get another job, closer to home.
I can surely empathize (sp?) with you.
It is a scary job market right now!
Kirsten

zyxquilts 05-14-2009 09:47 PM

Sorry to hear about the lay-off & good luck on your job hunt!
Like Ducky, I got cut to 4 days a week, but still have a job & insurance. I'm amazed at how quick I've gotten used to those 3-day weekends!

Quilting Aggi 05-15-2009 05:41 AM

I am sooo sorry to hear your news. I am happy to hear you are bouncing right back and pounding the pavement Monday for a new job!! You have a very positive attitude and that is a fabulous quality to have.

Some areas here in Canada are also dealing with mass lay offs and plants shutting down. We haven't seen much of a problem here in Newfoundland. There are signs EVERYWHERE to hire within! We are not seeing much happening here with the economy. Come work here!!! :)

Mplsgirl 05-15-2009 05:49 AM

So sorry about the layoff. I went through it in January. There are no jobs around here so I just retired. I took early SS. I hope you will find something soon. It can be scary, but it sounds like you have a wonderful attitude!

BellaBoo 05-15-2009 07:08 AM

Be sure and get lots of rest.

It's a lot of stress going through a lay off. So many are going through this right now. My DH has been telling the younger workers at his job to go to night school, enroll in online classes, do what it takes to learn to new skill or add to the skill you have. Many of them are being held back by their wives or husbands!! They don't want them at work all day and at classes at night. DH comes home so frustrated that the company will pay for all passed courses and the employees or their family won't sacrifice a few nights a week.

Shemjo 05-15-2009 09:19 AM

It is sad when young people won't take advantage of oppotunities, Bella!
I remember all the night classes I took and what would I have to show for those nights if I hadn't been in school? ???? Wouldn't be anything I could bank on! :?