Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Learned something new today that helps stock the freezer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/learned-something-new-today-helps-stock-freezer-t73525.html)

Candace 11-03-2010 11:36 AM

Yes I can't imagine what your flock would do. The two we have have ravaged our yard:< They have eaten quite a few landscape plants and cause a big mess. I have to hose down the patio often as that's their favorite poop spot:< But, they do make up for all the destruction by eating snails, bugs and spiders and sometimes even an occasional weed.

IBQUILTIN 11-03-2010 02:23 PM

I love them best too. I just can't eat one the same day as I have to butcher. Don't ask me why, but the smell stays on my hands or something and I just can't do it. But isn't it great to know how self sufficient we can be. I remember a Thanksgiving that absolutely EVERYTHING we put on the table we had grown ourselves except the sugar, and the coffee and seasonings. The kids still talk about it

feline fanatic 11-03-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
I love them best too. I just can't eat one the same day as I have to butcher. Don't ask me why, but the smell stays on my hands or something and I just can't do it. But isn't it great to know how self sufficient we can be. I remember a Thanksgiving that absolutely EVERYTHING we put on the table we had grown ourselves except the sugar, and the coffee and seasonings. The kids still talk about it

I agree that smell stays with you, even after a shower. It is much better to let the butchered chicken sit at least 24 hours, they tend to be a bit chewy if eaten the same day you butcher them. Don't know why that is but they tender up if you let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours before freezing or cooking.

Rachelcb80 11-03-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN

I agree that smell stays with you, even after a shower. It is much better to let the butchered chicken sit at least 24 hours, they tend to be a bit chewy if eaten the same day you butcher them. Don't know why that is but they tender up if you let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours before freezing or cooking.

I read about the fact that the smell may be bothersome, and I was worried because I have the most sensitive sense of smell EVER. But I didn't have any problem with the smell. In fact, I didn't smell anything other than the faint smell of wet feathers during the hot dunk.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the reason the meat is chewy if you eat and/or freeze on the same day as butchering is because of rigormotis. If you let the meat rest 24 hours, enzymes and such break down the substance that causes the muscle to stay contracted.

annette1952 11-03-2010 11:00 PM

Years ago when I was first married I got some free chicks for buying feed. We raised them & everytime we went out back by the chicks they would follow us around & they was so cute. When they grew up my husband killed & cleaned them but I could not help & I could not eat them either.
I like chicken but not ones I raise from babies. I would never make it on a farm. LOL

Nancy Ingham 08-17-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
That brings back childhood memories...

For me too....Good for you! :D :D :thumbup: