Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lest We Forget (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lest-we-forget-t255179.html)

true4uca 10-12-2014 03:33 PM

Lest We Forget

This bought a tear to my eyes.

A veteran is someone
who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank
check made payable to 'citizens of United States '
or "Canada" for an amount of 'up to and
including my life.'

Bobbielinks 10-12-2014 04:13 PM

Mine too. I pray that all our service men and women live to be veterans a long time. With Marine and Army grandsons, I, with others on this board, think of our veterans and active duty men and women daily and the sacrifices they make. May God bless them all.

PenniF 10-12-2014 04:20 PM

It is so very true....we all sleep under the blanket of security they provide. Thank them every chance you get.

Mom of an active duty Airman.

mike'sgirl 10-12-2014 04:48 PM

Amen. As a veteran myself I never forget the sacrifice that our service men and women make at this time in history. I was very blessed to have been in the Service at a more peaceful time.

tapper 10-13-2014 04:11 AM

So true.
We should never take our freedoms for granted.

DebbieJJ 10-14-2014 01:32 AM

How true.....my DH is a Vietnam Vet, and he says he was ridiculed when he got back from there. I didn't know him until years later, and it hurts me to know about that. I am so thankful for all of our servicemen and women!

celwood 10-14-2014 02:31 AM

I agree with Debbiejj. My husband spent two tours in Vietnam and when he got back each town there was no friendly welcoming committee telling "job well done"

fayeberry 10-14-2014 08:22 AM

Amen. From the daughter of an Army officer, and daughter in law of WWII POW. Thank God for their lives and for all those who have served since and are serving now.

Ellageo 10-14-2014 08:29 AM

My Daddie was in WWII, and 'back then', I don't believe anyone knew about Post Traumatic Stress. BUT, as a child of his , I lived with what it did to him. No one in the family realized what he had gone thru had caused his 'mental health' problems . Even me. Until just the last few years, I realized what my Daddie has been going thru & living for all those years. He is gone now & I think about him & cry every so often, realizing that he was 'alone', with whatever! Thank goodness our servicemen & women now at least have that understanding & support & help. We can try to imagine what they gave for us, but we'll never really grasp it.

Nanoo 10-14-2014 02:23 PM

I agree with Ellageo and can relate to her. My dad returned from the Pacific battles in 1945. He functioned fine, but when he would see the President putting the wreaths on the tombs of the Unknown Soldiers, or when he would talk about what the enemy had done to the people in the islands of the Pacific, he would always cry. His emotions were very close to the surface for the rest of his life. He was from the generation of do what you have to do to be a man and keep a stiff upper lip. I loved him dearly and miss him every day.