Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Let's talk computers, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lets-talk-computers-please-t300471.html)

Tiggersmom 10-25-2018 07:49 PM

Let's talk computers, please

Specifically Lap tops......My Kindle is 7" and I am having trouble with reading the screen eventho I increased the font.

I think it would be nice for the DH to get me a Laptop for Christmas. LOL. I would like to have my wish list to give to him so he could shop and get the most for the money.

My thoughts so far: a Touch screen with about 15" viewing but I'm not sure what brand or if it even matters. I do think I want one that takes nice pictures, not that I take that many, but why not, you never know when I might need it.

Do I need one that folds up??? or ???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jennifer

mjkgquilt 10-25-2018 09:05 PM

I have a 17" screen on my HP ENVY TouchSmart m& Notebook PC. The monitor is in the lid and the keyboard sits on my table. I prefer to use a mouse to move around and not the touch pad. It will not take pictures. I do not have a Kindle. My cell phone will take pictures except I do not use it to take pictures. Hope this information helps.

Murphy224 10-26-2018 12:14 AM

Not an expert by any means, but if you like your Kindle and want to take pictures, why not check out the Amazon Fire Tablets, specifically the 10" size. You can take pictures with it as well as use it just like a Kindle only with a bigger screen. It will also allow you to surf the internet, email, play music, this forum :), play games, shop, etc. So depending on how you use a computer, a tablet may be just what you need. The tablets don't cost as much as a laptop but they don't do all the same things either and most do not have the storage capacity of a computer. The Fire 10 inch is about $150 now and there may be a better deal during the holiday shopping season.
Something to consider..... Good luck in your shopping

quilterpurpledog 10-26-2018 02:10 AM

These devices have different uses. I have all of my Kindle content on my laptop and can read or study my books that way. I have a Kindle Fire and can do my email with it. However, typing on it is similar to the phone. I don't do that often because of how slow it is. I can, but don't take pictures with it. I do have a smart phone that crosses all of these platforms. I can put a couple of Kindle books on it at a time so I can read when I wait at various places. I can do email, etc. I like its features but I am not firmly attached to my phone at all times. I like my combination of devices but some functions are just better on specific ones.

WMUTeach 10-26-2018 03:22 AM

I have an HP Probook. Got it about 6 months ago and it has all of the bells and whistles I need and some I don't. The touch screen will add $150 or more to the cost of what ever you buy. My work laptop had a touch screen and I was sure I could not live without it. Now that I have gone 6 months without it, I am just fine. I use my laptop for communication, saving quilt patterns :o, some minor social media, work (I have retired and now work only part-time), and listen to audio books, Pandora and the like.

I got the largest screen I could because I planned on using this as my only computer. It is working out well. I can sit at a table and work or I can easily carry it from room to room to listen to my books. I did not purchase my computer through HP but a secondary seller. My son-in-law is a tech expert (it is his job) and he helped me search, compare and purchase. If I can find the name of the company I purchased from I will post it here. Something with "egg" in the name. :o Hope my 2 cents is of value.

SillySusan 10-26-2018 03:56 AM

I have a HP 17" laptop with an added mouse. It doesn't take photos. It is my only computer. Since it has the Zoom feature, I can increase or decrease the font to any size I need. I've had it for several years and there have been no problems.

QuiltingNinaSue 10-26-2018 05:15 AM

My hb taught computers in schools and our three children learned at an early age, then have college degrees in engineering and building computers. Since we retired 13 years ago, computers have advanced more, so we ask our children when we have questions; they can come on line and work on our computers from a distance. I was thee one who first computerized a school library in Corpus Christi, Tx., who had 35 elementary schools, 13 junior high schools and 5 high schools...serving at a junior high school library. (Re-did the library to three different systems to please the district so we could all have the same program district wide...the first one was the best system)

As to price you want to pay and tasks you want it to do, do a google search for Dell, Newegg, and Lenovo. Buy from a company, if you can or Best Buy on their respectfully specials. Better if you can get hands on, to see how it functions for you. I don't have Kindle experience, dh does have a tablet on which he collects books and reads on it. Amazon keeps charging him for books he does not order on his account.

dms 10-26-2018 05:42 AM

I too have the 17" Envy and love it. It is nice too if you like to watch movies etc. on it.

Cari-in-Oly 10-26-2018 12:04 PM

I have an HP Pavillion laptop from Costco and love it. 15" monitor, touch screen, has a camera, all the things you mentioned. My mom just got one too.

Cari

roguequilter 10-26-2018 12:17 PM

i have always been a desktop person ..with many terabytes of space for photo editing software, eq, etcetcetc. but with worsening back situation & being unable to sit upright for very long, my son suggested ipad for web reading etc. it takes beautiful large format photos, has built in photo editing. then he loaded kindle onto my ipad and enrolled he & i into kindleunlimited, which i love love love!! i have my sewing, knitting & crochet patterns in ibook now with capability to print off if i want, and with all the apps i can download for cross stitch, quilt designing ...anyway, i'm seriously considering if i even need a computer per sé anymore. ipad works for all & he even gave me a wireless keyboard to go with it if i want, but i don't use it.