Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   lets talk fiction (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lets-talk-fiction-t138630.html)

jolo 07-19-2011 04:44 AM

I love to read . I have trouble choosing between quilting and reading. lol.

Diana Lynne 07-19-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgran2
I must confess that I am a hardnosed anglophile. I love the U.K. and am fortunate enough to have enjoyed numerous vacations there. Every once and a while I get "homesick" and long for the lovely towns and countryside I have experienced in past visits. To get a quick fix, so to speak, I often pick up a novel which has it's setting in Britain and lose myself within its pages..... so I'm wondering if anyone has read a book lately with such a setting that you think I might like. My taste lends itself to historical and contemporary fiction. I would be so appreciative if you'd share titles and/or authors. Thanks.

I LOVE those books as well..And, there are quite a few authors that I specifically look for...One is Stehanie Laurens..She writes very good novels and has a series "Cynster" Here are some of the titles.."Devil's Bride", " A Rakes Vow", "Scandal's Bride", "A Rogue's Proposal" ...

Jo Mama 07-19-2011 05:12 AM

I like to re-read all the James Harriott books and watch the series via Netflix.

mhansen6 07-19-2011 06:50 AM

Have you read Laurie R. King? These are about Mary Russell, who is an apprentice to Sherlok Homles. There is a whole series of books and I throughly enjoyed them.

ThimbleShy 07-19-2011 07:31 AM

Have you read any of Jacqueline Winspear books. They are
very nice stories. It is a series, but you could try one and
see if you enjoy them.

AnneinCA 07-19-2011 07:41 AM

Outlander is one of my faves, too!

Quiltbeagle 07-19-2011 08:58 AM

Rosemunde Pilcher is one of my favorite authors, and the Shell Seekers my favorite of hers. But, like the previous posters said, if you like time-traveling historical fiction tossed with adventure, Gaelic, kilts and true love (naughty at times) you have to try the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I'm only halfway through the books right now though, so don't know how it ends.

mollymct 07-19-2011 08:58 AM

Kate Morton's books are very enjoyable, too!

May in Jersey 07-19-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

The Miss Read series are great quick reads.

We loved this charming book in my book/quilt small group. It also made us aware of some little known WWII events. May in Jersey

ahafun 07-19-2011 09:23 AM

You are a kindred spirit!
I'm a longtime Anglophile also...have only spent time in England twice and in Scotland twice. I love reading British fiction. The authors listed here that I'm familiar with are great - especially D. E. Stevenson....try Elizabeth Goudge (hard to find even at Alibris). I'm to explore some of the authors mentioned here that I'm not familiar with.
Another good mystery writer was Margery Allingham..her main detective is Albert Campion - BBC did a series of episodes which have been shown on PBS here in USA.
So many good ones!