Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   limited income in retirement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/limited-income-retirement-t161308.html)

Peckish 10-18-2011 08:03 AM

I have a retired friend in a similar situation, only she's an artist, not a quilter. She teaches piano after school 2 days a week, and also paints pet portraits on commission. She saved up her money from the pet portraits for 18 months and was able to pay for an African safari!

Maybe you have a talent of some kind and can earn a part-time wage to supplement your hobby.

Sandee 10-18-2011 08:07 AM

We are also on a very limited budget & there is really no money for quilting. I was lucky enough to be at Walmart when they were closing their fabric dept. I picked up alot at under a $1.00. But that is running out & I look at garage sales, use shirts & pants of the right weight for quilting, ask family members to save their old shirts, sheets, etc.I go to Goodwill, Salvation Army stores, & any where else I think I may find something. I have bought little girl's dresses to use the fabric, men's cotton shirts, etc from garage sales. I piece left over batting to make another quilt with. I watch for Connecting Threads to have batting sales, & look at their clearance regularly. They have fabric for under $4.oo in clearance.

Kitsie 10-18-2011 08:07 AM

I'm very much in your situation! My friends and family know what I like for gifts for all occasions - gift cards to fabric stores! Took me 7 months to pay for my new machine - but wow, does that make it even more special!

My "stash" is left overs from other projects so quantities are small but its fun to play with!

A yard here, a FQ there from what's left of my SS check and away we go!

Nancy Ingham 10-18-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lynnejean
Go to garage sales, estate sales, craigslist, flea markets. I have found tons of bargains.

...and thrift stores....I am building quite a stash doing just this.
Good Luck!!

Pam Perry 10-18-2011 08:23 AM

I am in the same "boat" so there is little I can do.

MissSandra 10-18-2011 08:55 AM

Even though I am limited income, I only buy fabric that strikes me as exceptional and a little at a time or depending on what I want to accomplish I might buy alot then slowly add to it, I'm fortunate enough to have a dear friend when she comes to visit she always gifts me with quite a few yards. When my SO is ill as he is now I will hire work out if its needing to be done sooner than what I would be able to accomplish it, and I look for someone on low income because even though I can't pay sensational prices I do pay nicely and send those extra gifts that they normally would not buy due to the expense, hopefully it will inspire them and can use what I have sent. Added thoughtfullness goes along ways.
Sandra

earlylace 10-18-2011 09:52 AM

Retired also, no extra's so I dog sit here at home for friends for cash. I always have a few dollars that way when I need something.

Jingle 10-18-2011 09:55 AM

We both still work, I have enough fabric and supplies to last the rest of my life, even if I live to be 200 years old. Then I might need to buy some polyester batting, all I use.

Honeynga 10-18-2011 10:43 AM

I've read this post several times today and have attempted to reply a couple....I too am retired, somewhat disabled, live on a very meager income.....but somehow I manage to get by. I only buy what I can afford, (which isn't much); my taste and my pocketbook are miles apart !

I just started quilting earlier this year; already had a mat and a couple of rotary cutters....bought a couple of all purpose type rulers...I assume they are all purpose, they do whatever I need them to do !

My first quilt was a denim rag....I bought the jeans at a thrift store; a couple of flannel shirts for accent blocks, happened to have some duck type cloth left from another project and ended up making a pretty good rag quilt after all.

I had some fabric already because when I was living for a few months in MO recovering from a heart attack and stroke and needed to do something with my hands. I started making "designer" quilts that my daughter would sell for me at craft fairs in MO.

When I moved back to GA I knew that I couldn't make and go to craft fairs on my own so decided to try quilting and the rest is history.

Quilting has really become somewhat of a life saver for me; the stroke and heart attack and the fact I had to give up a full time job was most depressing.

I honestly credit quilting and the QB with lifting me out of a deep depression; giving me something to think about, plan and read about and live vicariously (sp?) through you guys and your quilts.

One of my girls gave me beginning lessons and a $100 gift to LQS for my birthday....what an awesome gift.

I've made 3 tops already, made another rag quilt, and have made blocks for a DP9, this week made my first Dresden plate out of left over Christmas patterned fabric I had bought for aprons and am amazed how it looks.

At one time in my life and when I started a new project, i.e., knitting, oil painting, etc., I would go out and buy everything I thought I would need...can't do that anymore. Have to budget carefully for any fabric and only buy what is on sale what I can afford. I received a subsc to a quilting mag for mother's day and enjoy that.

I have a "master" list of things I would like to add to my quilting supplies, i.e., more stash, batting, backing, a new rotary cutter and a new mat.

It's ok, I love quilting and owe it and you folks a debt of gratitude for it.
Sincerely,
Sandy

Honeynga 10-18-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
I've read this post several times today and have attempted to reply a couple....I too am retired, somewhat disabled, live on a very meager income.....but somehow I manage to get by. I only buy what I can afford, (which isn't much); my taste and my pocketbook are miles apart !

I just started quilting earlier this year; already had a mat and a couple of rotary cutters....bought a couple of all purpose type rulers...I assume they are all purpose, they do whatever I need them to do !

My first quilt was a denim rag....I bought the jeans at a thrift store; a couple of flannel shirts for accent blocks, happened to have some duck type cloth left from another project and ended up making a pretty good rag quilt after all.

I had some fabric already because when I was living for a few months in MO recovering from a heart attack and stroke and needed to do something with my hands. I started making "designer" quilts that my daughter would sell for me at craft fairs in MO.

When I moved back to GA I knew that I couldn't make and go to craft fairs on my own so decided to try quilting and the rest is history.

Quilting has really become somewhat of a life saver for me; the stroke and heart attack and the fact I had to give up a full time job was most depressing.

I honestly credit quilting and the QB with lifting me out of a deep depression; giving me something to think about, plan and read about and live vicariously (sp?) through you guys and your quilts.

One of my girls gave me beginning lessons and a $100 gift to LQS for my birthday....what an awesome gift.

I've made 3 tops already, made another rag quilt, and have made blocks for a DP9, this week made my first Dresden plate out of left over Christmas patterned fabric I had bought for aprons and am amazed how it looks.

At one time in my life and when I started a new project, i.e., knitting, oil painting, etc., I would go out and buy everything I thought I would need...can't do that anymore. Have to budget carefully for any fabric and only buy what is on sale what I can afford. I received a subsc to a quilting mag for mother's day and enjoy that.

I have a "master" list of things I would like to add to my quilting supplies, i.e., more stash, batting, backing, a new rotary cutter and a new mat.

It's ok, I love quilting and owe it and you folks a debt of gratitude for it.
Sincerely,
Sandy

I WASN'T making Designer Quilts (duh me ) I was making Designer APRONS!