Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lint (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lint-t54593.html)

Marilyn1 07-15-2010 06:37 AM

Lately I have noticed a lot of lint on my clothes after they come out of the washer and dryer. I clean out the lint traps with every wash but my dark clothes are a mess.
Got any Ideas what is wrong?

Sue Fish 07-15-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Marilyn1
Lately I have noticed a lot of lint on my clothes after they come out of the washer and dryer. I clean out the lint traps with every wash but my dark clothes are a mess.
Got any Ideas what is wrong?

OMG find out and let me know!! I have that problem now and then and I am so careful with my laundry and cleaning the lint traps etc too...

bj 07-15-2010 06:41 AM

Maybe your exhaust(?) hose is clogged and is throwing stuff back into the dryer. Not sure that's even possible, but might bear looking into.

QBeth 07-15-2010 06:43 AM

Two things come to mind.... several people on this Board have suggested washing the lint filter in soap & water, drying it before putting back in machine. Guess it's because the fabric softeners can leave a residue that builds up over time.

Secondly, you may have to buy one of those long brushes made for cleaning way down into the machine and/or disconnect the vent pipe at the back and cleaning it, also. The lint filter doesn't catch everything.

Good luck, hope this helps.

hobo2000 07-15-2010 06:44 AM

I had that problem and tries everything. Then I went outside and cleaned out where the air comes out and OMG its a wonder I didn't have a fire. It was totally clogged. Nice and clean now and I check every so often.

Grama Lehr 07-15-2010 06:46 AM

Us too! The lint was catching up at the top of the outside vent!! It was scary how much lint came out of there!!

donnajean 07-15-2010 07:36 AM

Thanks for reminding me to check my outside exhust. Especially with this high humidity, the lint sticks to the vent bars of the plastic cover & clogs it up.

raptureready 07-15-2010 07:38 AM

Are you washing and drying your darks separately from your other clothes? My stepdaughter called me with the same problem and after trying many things, calling back several times I finally found out that she was washing her towels with her dark clothes. I also do mine in a specific order. I do light colors to rid the washer and dryer of any left over stuff from the last time. Then I do brights, dark colors, whites and lastly towels.

KGoodhand 07-15-2010 08:02 AM

According to a neighbour of mine, who just happens to be a retired fire chief, said it is surprising how many fires are started because of a buildup of lint. Very rarely do we thnk of cleaning it out unless we have a problem! It is something weshould all keep an eye on!

amma 07-15-2010 09:54 AM

I dry all of the linty items separate...even if I wash them together :wink: