Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Little Lamb Cake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/little-lamb-cake-t119298.html)

countrycottage 04-27-2011 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My parents and I spent the Easter weekend in the lovely town of Fredericksburg, TX. One of our stops was actually in Stonewall at the Sauer-Beckman living history farm where they were preparing for Easter the old fashioned way. Along with the naturally dyed eggs, they had prepared a lamb cake just like my Grandmama always made for Easter. She would frost it in white and sprinkle the frosting with coconut. Black jelly beans, cut in half served as eyes with the end of a pink jelly bean for a nose. The cake rested on a bed of dyed green coconut with multi-colored jelly beans nested in it. The cake was always so pretty that no one wanted to cut it. I have that pan now, and have used it once. Next year, I'm going to make Grandmama's cake again. I'd love to hear special Easter memories that others may have!

This is not my cake, but you get the idea.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190095[/ATTACH]

Quiltforme 04-27-2011 05:33 PM

Oh I used to make this for my girls when they were little and the eggs we always colored eggs. I have been doing this with them for 17 years. I just love the time and creativity with them1

sharoney 04-27-2011 05:35 PM

That is so cute!
Where is Gilmer, BTW?

3incollege 04-27-2011 05:37 PM

I love the bunny cake! When mykids where small I made that cake, I stilL have the pan but just havn't thought about it. Maybe next year. I still make the Jello eggs though, They always want those, however this year they requested that I make them into Jello shots. I didn't do it.

jenny Line 04-27-2011 05:53 PM

Love it! When we lived in Austin, TX, we used to visit Fredericksburg...great place!

jacee kay 04-27-2011 06:21 PM

My Mom made me and my brother each one one our first birthday. She then made my kids one. My DD made her kids one and now she has made her first DGD one for her first birthday.Great Memories!

patchsamkim 04-27-2011 06:51 PM

LOVE the cake..one of these years I will use the cast iron lamb cake pan that I got from a friend's mother's estate...seeing this picture makes me really want to make a lamb cake!

bucky383 04-27-2011 10:06 PM

My Dear Grandma always made each of her childrens' family a Lamb cake just like you described. Have such special memories of those cakes she decorated so beautifully. We always started cutting from the "rear" and were sad when we had to cut up it's head. My Grandma used raisins for eyes, and tied ribbon around his neck too.

countrycottage 04-28-2011 06:55 AM

Gilmer is in Northeast Texas, within easy driving distance of Longview and Tyler.

bakermom 04-28-2011 07:27 AM

My mom made one of those every Easter. i have her pan now and used to make one for my kids, too