Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Long-distance mover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/long-distance-mover-t318037.html)

gramma nancy 04-20-2022 04:28 PM

Long-distance mover

Can anyone recommend a reliable, trustworthy long-distance mover? Thank you!

dunster 04-20-2022 05:19 PM

Sort of like asking where you can find unicorns. I don't think they exist.

sandy l 04-21-2022 03:43 AM

This is no help for your question, but just made me remember when my Dad worked for a company that transfered him a lot. I was in grade school, so never knew when it was going to happen until the big orange and green Mayflower truck showed up. They moved us all over the western states.

Tartan 04-21-2022 10:37 AM

They say to put an Apple location button hidden in your stuff so you can see where it goes.

tallchick 04-21-2022 12:08 PM

I moved cross country from west coast to east coast back in 2007. It cost me 5k, I should have just sold everything and purchased new when I got here. You are almost forced to buy their insurance or you will find a lot of stuff damaged. In 2018 my daughter was transferred to Florida from Ohio she got quotes that were around 5-7k to move a small 1 bedroom apartment. She sold most of her stuff and what remained was put in a borrowed a 20 foot trailer along with a 1 ton truck from my ex, and I moved her down there myself. The money she saved was significant and went to new furnishings.

I agree that finding a good moving company is like searching for a Unicorn. Think about selling stuff and replacing when you get to your new location and renting a U-Haul. You can hire people to help you load it and unload it and perhaps you can enlist family to drive if you’re not comfortable doing so.

charlottequilts 04-21-2022 03:31 PM

I think the most irritating part is when they check off every "scratched, dented, chipped, etc" box they can, which then releases them from liabiity as to condition on arrival.

Or, throwing long things like rakes or poles in the underneath compartment of the van and then asking if any of it's yours. Like you really can immediately think of what you have like that while people are marching past you with your boxes.

I'm with Tallchick on this one. Drive the stuff you really care about and either send the rest with a mover or replace it on arrival.

charlotte

Peckish 04-21-2022 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8548484)
Sort of like asking where you can find unicorns. I don't think they exist.

I agree. Friend of mine was transferred from the west coast to the east coast by her employer (at their cost) at the start of the pandemic. After working from home instead of the east coast office for 2 years, she decided she wanted to come back home to the west coast, but the company wouldn't pay for her relocation back. Her quotes by various moving companies ranged from $20 to $30K. She ended up selling almost all her belongings and renting a u-haul for the rest. She paid for a plane ticket for a family member to fly east, help her load and drive across country.

Stitchnripper 04-22-2022 04:53 AM

At her end of 2015 we moved from Baton Rouge to metro Atlanta. I interviewed two major well known moving companies and then two Men and a truck which seems to be all around here with different franchises. Couldn’t have been more pleased with them. We did the packing. Two fellows loaded the truck in the am and then drove straight to our house with one overnight stop. They got here the next morning and unloaded. I do t know how another franchise would be but these were superb.

charlottequilts 04-22-2022 09:50 AM

Our son was pleased with Two Men and a Truck in Cincinnati. Thanks for mentioning them, Stitchnripper. We'll be looking for someone soon, ourselves.

charlotte

selm 04-22-2022 10:20 AM

You might want to look into Pods or other similar companies. You have to load(you could hire people to do that), they deliver to your new place and you have to unload. There's coordination to do but looks to be cheaper(and safer for your belongings) than big company movers.

Also, it's good advice, whichever method you use, to get rid of stuff and buy new(or used) at your new location.