Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Looking for apron pattern... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-apron-pattern-t284352.html)

Love2Craft 12-10-2016 06:58 AM

Looking for apron pattern...

That buttons or snaps down the front. I've looked all over Pinterest but they are mostly made out of recycled men's shirts....good idea but I have lots of cute fabric to use.

Tartan 12-10-2016 07:33 AM

​I would look for a plain Bib apron I liked and add the extra fabric in the center so it can be cut down the middle and buttons added. This time of year one done in red with black strip in the middle then ad buttons and sewn on fabric buckle for Santa apron.

pennycandy 12-10-2016 07:44 AM

Try looking for cobbler apron patterns. Not all cobbler aprons button down the front, some go over your head and tie on the sides.

illinois 12-11-2016 03:55 AM

Haven't tried this but--could you use an apron shape but add enough to the fold (center front) to make a faux front like on a man's dress shirt and add buttons? Here's what I'd try--add another 2 1/2" or so. Stitch that and then press is so the fold line is on the seam so that first stitching is underneath the "placket". Now press that and topstitch about 1/4" from each edge. Sew buttons where they "ought" to be as on a shirt. Is that clear as mud?

sewverybusy1 12-11-2016 04:02 AM

try Indigo Junction. Great stuff there
sewverybusy

duckydo 12-11-2016 05:38 AM

I have seen aprons made by using old shirts. I think if you google it or search on pinterest you should be able to find it.

lynnie 12-11-2016 11:20 AM

do the shirt front out of your fabrics

grandmahoney 12-12-2016 04:57 AM

Aprons patterns

Originally Posted by Love2Craft (Post 7715778)
That buttons or snaps down the front. I've looked all over Pinterest but they are mostly made out of recycled men's shirts....good idea but I have lots of cute fabric to use.

Have you thought of making the aprons out of men's shirts then use the scraps for accents on the apron. You could add pockets or applique on them or add a cute trim around the edge of the apron.

Baconbit 12-12-2016 08:21 AM

I think Love 2 craft is saying that she wants the apron to actually open down the front with buttons or snaps for closure. She also said the ones she has seen are out of shirts and she wants to use her fabric. I believe if you have a pattern that you like just add extra fabric at the center fold to actually make a placket, then cut open and make your button holes on one side and buttons on the other. or ditto with the snaps. I am not sure about the back of the apron, because you would not need string ties if it opens down the front.

sewmuch 12-12-2016 08:42 AM

Yes, cobbler aprons, I like them also...my mother always wore them and she did make her own...