Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Looking for book recommendations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-book-recommendations-t287353.html)

Wildernessties 04-06-2017 06:44 PM

Looking for book recommendations

I will be undergoing hip replacement surgery the end of this month so I will have some time to read as I recuperate so I'm looking for some reading recommendations. I don't want to spend a fortune on books but I can get most used on Amazon. I thought I saw somewhere that you can "borrow" books on Prime. Has anyone done this or do you know how it works?

As far as types of books, I don't care for science fiction. I'm open to most other types. Thank you for any suggestions.

cannyquilter 04-07-2017 12:08 AM

If you like thrillers I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes is a real page turner.

Jane Quilter 04-07-2017 12:30 AM

a light between two oceans is pleasant but engaging until the end.

Mkotch 04-07-2017 02:19 AM

Many public libraries have downloadable e-books that you can "borrow" for free. Get a library card and go to your library's website. Click on the title you want to borrow and away you go. It's a wonderful service!

PABerard 04-07-2017 02:40 AM

I like all books by Jeffrey Archer, but especially "As the Crow Flies" and the seven books in his "Clifton Chronicle" series. Good luck on your surgery. I hope you have a quick recovery

sshell 04-07-2017 03:00 AM

Prime offers free books at first of month. Also public libraries are a great place to "checkout" free ebooks. While I was bedridden I loved the quilt series by Jennifer Chiaverini.

JENNR8R 04-07-2017 04:23 AM

Lynn Austin is my newest favorite author. She writes Christian fiction. She has won more Christy awards than any other author.

The first book I read was Hidden Places. It was turned into an awful Hallmark movie. Don't waste your time watching it.

The book of hers that I'm reading now is called Eve's Daughters.

Beachbaby12 04-07-2017 04:52 AM

Bonnie Hunter is reading and recommended "Birds in the Air" by Frances Dowell. I broke down and bought it on Amazon because the library doesn't have it (it was just published September 2016) and neither do used book stores. Amazon has it the cheapest especially is you're a prime member. It is a quilting inspired novel - just got it and will give it a try.

AZ Jane 04-07-2017 05:36 AM

Do you have or can borrow a Kindle or the Nook ebook? Not sure with hip surgery but when I broke my shoulder and only had one arm, it was so light weight compared to book-books. Amazon has MANY free books, some are trash, sure but it's free, just delete it. Within Amazon, under Kindle books, in the search box, just put " 00.00 "" and se what comes up.

coopah 04-07-2017 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by PABerard (Post 7799775)
I like all books by Jeffrey Archer, but especially "As the Crow Flies" and the seven books in his "Clifton Chronicle" series. Good luck on your surgery. I hope you have a quick recovery

Here's a prayer for successful surgery with quick, complete healing and no complications.

Yes, yes, yes to the Clifton Chronicles. All were available at the library when I needed them, except for #7. There were 25 people on the reserve list for that one, so I figured it could be well over a year before I got it. So I ordered #7 in hardback from Amazon. Softcover is out in August. Lady Virginia Fenwick is one interesting character. I liked the series, because there wasn't blatant, descriptive sex or foul language. The intertwining of the families and lives were what I liked.