Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   looking for broomstick skirt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-broomstick-skirt-pattern-t249543.html)

rupe 07-05-2014 03:30 AM

looking for broomstick skirt pattern

I know this not a true quilting question but thought maybe someone would know where to find a good tutorial. I have found a couple.
Thanks and hope you all had a great 4th!!

RobertaMarie 07-05-2014 10:11 AM

I made broomstick skirts to wear when I was a teenager (long time ago!) Just find the size for your waist band and gather the fabric to make a full gathered skirt. (Can also be made in multi-layers of gathered rows.) Determine the length, hem and there you are. Easy-peezy. They were called broomstick skirts because when washed, you tied them around a broomstick with twine to get the wrinkles..... Most of our clothing then was starched and ironed! This brings back memories.

kuntryquilter 07-06-2014 03:17 AM

This was the very first class project my class done in Home Ec. a hundred years ago.

It takes 2 yards of fabric, 1 piece of 1" wide elastic, enough to fit waist + 1", thread to match fabric. With wrong sides of fabric together, stitch together with 1/2 seam allowance, press seam open. Fold over 1/4" on each open end & stitch along the top. On one end fold over 1&1/2" to form a casing for elastic, starting at seam, stitch around the bottom of fold, leaving a 1" opening to insert elastic, I use a large safety pin to insert the elastic. Stitch ends of elastic together & distribute gathers evenly. Hem to desired length.

I hope this make enough sense that you can make a skirt.

rupe 07-06-2014 07:39 AM

I'm looking to making one with 4 layers. I made one several years ago with a server. I think you are suppose to sew each strip together at the ends then attach them together some way that is the part I'm not sure of

purplefiend 07-06-2014 11:07 PM

I'd love to make a broomstick skirt. I have a white one that I bought at a store. It didn't come in a petite length, so I had to remove one of the tiers to shorten it enough.:hunf: It was so long that I would've tripped over it.

mulema43 07-07-2014 07:00 AM

broomstick shirt

Southwest Decorative Designs has a pattern for a broomstick skirt you might like. mulema

sylvia storey 07-07-2014 07:54 AM

broomstick

no pattern needed. Figure how full you want it and how long. lst tier is two WOF, next is 4 WOF and 3rd is 8WOF. Divide length by 3 to figure tiers and add seam allowance and hem for bottom tier. For variety, try subtracting 2 inches from top tier and giving it to bottom tier. More balanced that way. If 2 WOF is too much, try using 1 1/2 WOF, 3 WOF and 6 WOF. Has to be cotton or rayon to pleat successfully. YOu decide your favorite way to make waistband and insert zipper. Each tier is gathered to fit to next tier, of course

Needles 07-07-2014 09:15 AM

I've made four of them, years back. No Pattern. Pretty much like broomstick says. Mine were taffeta, 1 long, three were shorter versions. Made waist band, a size to pass your hips, for 1" elastic. Taffeta was 36" wide. For the long skirt, first layer was two 36" pieces, sewn into a circle, second layer was three 36" pieces, third layer was four 36" pieces, fourth layer was five 36" pieces. Each layer sewn into a circle. The layer widths were in my case, 10 1/2" each, I'm short. Then start putting your layes together. Being taffeta, all layers were sewn on, then zigzagged together. Rolled hem on the bottom. I have to tell you, it is a tiring job and one you will probably work on a little bit a day. The results, well, they are spectacular. Two of them I made matching ruffled peasant blouses. You will have a skirt with LOTS of material, the long one will make a circle if you pull it up on both sides, to your head. Don't forget, all the layers were GATHERED together. I really is a work of love. You can just make the elastic waist band, remembering it has to clear hips or easily go over your your head. Then cut two pieces the width of your fabric the length you want, sew them together then gather that circle onto your elastic waistband. It will look nice but not the spectacular look of the tiered on. To pleat them, every wash, I pulled them from waist down into a panty hose leg. Hang to dry. Took a week for my floor length tiered one to dry.

cashs_mom 07-07-2014 09:20 AM

I made a couple several years ago and still love and wear them. They are so comfortable in the hot weather here. I did have a pattern but since I'm at work now, I can't see who made it. I think that it did help to have the pattern because it made each section successively larger and that way the top section was smaller with less gathering and bulk around your waist (like we need that. lol)

I'll look it up when I get home and see what it was called.

rupe 07-09-2014 05:43 PM

I think I have found something that will work on a site called Run and Play and they have a tiered skirt pattern for a child but I think I can alter dimensions to fit an adult. The instructions are on a serger using a big long strip which I was looking for. So I just have to get enough nerve to sew it. I did cut some strips so I hope I can start it this weekend.
Thanks for everyone's input