Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Looking for Fruit Cake Cookie recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-fruit-cake-cookie-recipe-t161636.html)

sassy granny 10-19-2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I'll try these too. I love fruit cakes...no, I adore fruit cakes and can't find them most of the year. I've thought of taking thin slices of fruit cakes, smushing them down flat and baking them slowly so they would hopefully get crisp.
I LOVE fruit cake...

Here's my recipe for Fruit cake chews
1 3/4 cups flour,3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tblsp. sugar 1/2 cup shortening,1/4 cup milk,1/2 tsp.baking powder,1/2 tsp. salt,1 egg,1 1/2 cups chopped pecans,1 61/2 oz. pkg.red candied cherries,1 4oz. pkg. green candied cherries, orange flavor liquier.
in large bowl measure the first 7 ingredients with 3 tblsps. orange liquier. Mix on low speed until blended. With wooden spoon stir in pecans and cherries or fruit of your choice. I like to use candied citrus peel in place of the green cherries. I also replace the liquier with 2 tblsps orange juice and 1 tblsp. amoretta. You could substitute another choice of your taste.
I drop these onto greased cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inch apart and bake @ 400 degrees about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and store in tightly covered container . Store up to 2 weeks if they last that long. I have stored mine in the crisper drawer of the fridge in a container with a clean white cloth soaked in wine in the container. It keeps them moist and enhances the flavor. I just can't keep them for very long because I can't keep from eating them. I'm the only one in my household that likes them and I can go through them pretty fast.

Pete 10-19-2011 07:02 PM

oooh sounds great!!!!!

plainpat 10-20-2011 01:14 AM

I make 3-4 fruit cakes, in loaf pans. One goes to DD,we eat one(kept wrapped in fridge) & other 2 are cut in 1/2,then tightly wrapped & frozen.Every few mos,they are unwrapped & sprinkled with grape juice,then rewrapped.They keep perfectly.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I'll try these too. I love fruit cakes...no, I adore fruit cakes and can't find them most of the year. I've thought of taking thin slices of fruit cakes, smushing them down flat and baking them slowly so they would hopefully get crisp.
I LOVE fruit cake...

mltquilt 10-20-2011 04:50 AM

Thanks for the links and the recipe. Wasn't looking for one but may have to try these. Love fruit cake and my family thinks I'm nuts. They can't stand it.

mltquilt

lynnsim 10-20-2011 04:54 AM

Thanks, sassy granny; I'm going to try this one. When I was younger and skinny, I didn't like fruit cakes. Now, I'm much older and "fluffy" and I love them!

Pete 10-20-2011 05:09 AM

I am so glad to find other people that like fruitcake. I had a friend who made me a huge one and presented it with a rum hard sauce. Unfortunately she never shared recipes before she died. Been thinking of her a lot and decided to attempt it this year - but in the small muffin size so I don't eat the whole thing at once. :lol:

lucylockett 10-20-2011 06:36 AM

I have a wonderful fruitcake drop cookie recipe. It uses a Claxton Fruitcake and a box of yellow cake mix.

Interested? Or is this too easy? Yummy. Even the grandkids like it!

sassy granny 10-20-2011 07:29 AM

I don't know what a Claxton fruit cake is but the recipe does sound interesting. Simple is always apppreciated. Let's hear it. I'll try it. I love fruit cake.

sassy granny

Glassquilt 10-20-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by lucylockett
I have a wonderful fruitcake drop cookie recipe. It uses a Claxton Fruitcake and a box of yellow cake mix.

Interested? Or is this too easy? Yummy. Even the grandkids like it!

Yes

lucylockett 10-20-2011 12:29 PM

Easy Tasty Fruitcake Cookies

1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
2 eggs
1 Claxton Fruit Cake
1 Cup chopped nuts
1/3 cup oil

Crumble fruit cake and mix all other ingredients together. Drop by spoonful on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool and enjoy!