Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Looking for a post about a sofa. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-post-about-sofa-t274843.html)

Chasing Hawk 01-22-2016 11:53 AM

Looking for a post about a sofa.

A while back one of the ladies here posted a project she did. She recovered her sofa with either a slipcover or totally reupholstered the sofa. What I am looking for is the seat cushion information. She made the seat into on long cushion.

I am curious as to how firm was the foam and was it memory foam?

Thanks for the help in advance.

illinois 01-23-2016 05:28 AM

Doesn't memory foam retain the shape of whatever was on it??

NJ Quilter 01-23-2016 06:10 AM

Dad has a memory foam pillow for the seat of his wheelchair and when he's not in it, the pillow goes back to it's original shape. That's my only experience/knowledge of 'memory foam'.

Stitchit123 01-23-2016 09:15 AM

Get '' High Density '' foam slabs at JoAnn's they were the best price but it is still quite pricey so use a 50% coupon. My brother re-done my older love seat and changed it from 4 cushions to a solid seat and back.This was 5 years ago and it still looks and feels new. And I slept on it for 2 winters.

waltonalice 01-24-2016 08:01 AM

When I reuphoster, I'm able to get foam custom cut from a wonderful firm in Buffalo, NY. The postage would be prohibitive to go out West, but you might look for a firm that custom cuts. I watched the men as they cut from a slab of dense foam - it was over 8 feet tall, about 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. My cushions were the perfect size and very thick (8 inches) and have lasted well for the past 10 years. The ones at Joanns are at most 6 inches and require you to cut the 4 feet long pieces to fit your cushion size. I hope that this is helpful.

Chasing Hawk 01-24-2016 10:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am or should say was an Upholsterer since the age of 17. I have to be careful on the firmness of the seat cushion concerning my husband. He has back issues and can not sit for long periods of time. We have a Temperpedic mattress on our bed. So I am wondering if buying a twin size memory foam mattress would be better than using just a firm dense foam.

elnan 01-24-2016 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 7444128)
I have to be careful on the firmness of the seat cushion concerning my husband. He has back issues and can not sit for long periods of time.

I know what you mean about the density of the foam. I bought two slabs of high density foam at "Pacific Iron & Metal" in Seattle. This was to replace the mattress on a futon frame that we altered for an always upright couch. Sitting on that high density 5" foam slab was like sitting on a board. I put king size pillows in washable covers and that is the top layer for the seat. Over a period of several years the pillows have no more "puff", so I just move them to some other use. Two layers of eggcrate mattress topper wrapped in a sheet was comfortable as a topper, but the big pillows were easier that making a cover for the eggcrate foam.