Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Love this puppy story (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/love-puppy-story-t187540.html)

nivosum 04-28-2012 08:12 PM

Love this puppy story

In case you have not seen this in the news, I am posting the link to this sweet, wonderful story.
People just can not deny that animals have feelings and intelligence.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...opstories.html

Phyllis42 04-28-2012 11:10 PM

It is so wonderful how the animals show compassion. Have you seen the stories about the blind Great Dane being led around by another, and the blind horse being taken care of by another horse.

nivosum 04-29-2012 12:18 AM

Yes. I just love happy animals stories.

woody 04-29-2012 04:04 AM

I can't watch it :( Not available for your location :( Not fair

DogHouseMom 04-29-2012 05:46 AM

This story is a clear indication of how important "confidence" is to a dog, and cements the findings of the Coplinger's study back in the 70's that dogs do indeed draw confidence from each other (although their study was confined to the working dog - not dogs in the daily life of a home and family).

As a breeder, I place very high emphasis on temperament testing my puppies and one of the biggest things I look for is 'confidence'.

My breed absolutely REQUIRES confidence to be an effective working dog. I raise Kuvasz which have historically (thousands of years - not just hundreds) been used to guard sheep (not "herd" sheep - these dogs just hang around with the sheep when the shepherd is away and make sure that no nasty buggers come to kill the sheep). The Coplinger study focused on flock guards like the Kuvasz. In a nut shell, one dog protecting a single goat from a pack of wolves displayed serious signs of anxiety due to lack of confidence to deal with an entire pack of wolves. Once another dog was placed with the same dog to work as a pair to protect the same goat - both dogs displayed remarkable instinct and showed no lack of confidence to perform their work. Rarely are flock guards used singularly - they are most effective in pairs, drawing confidence from each other and working as a team to watch all sides of the flock (one dog will remain with the flock while the other may give chase). Bear in mind that none of the work that flock guards do is "trained" - it's all instinct.

Thanks for sharing the story!

ranbro 04-30-2012 03:56 AM

What a beautiful story. Many thanks for sharing it.

SueDor 04-30-2012 04:02 AM

Thanks for the story!

Roberta 04-30-2012 05:03 AM

This started my day off on such a positive note. I know dogs are special but some more special then others.

stchenfool 04-30-2012 05:22 AM

Awwaaa love the story. I know my dog has many feelings too.

damaquilts 04-30-2012 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5179354)
This story is a clear indication of how important "confidence" is to a dog, and cements the findings of the Coplinger's study back in the 70's that dogs do indeed draw confidence from each other (although their study was confined to the working dog - not dogs in the daily life of a home and family).

As a breeder, I place very high emphasis on temperament testing my puppies and one of the biggest things I look for is 'confidence'.

My breed absolutely REQUIRES confidence to be an effective working dog. I raise Kuvasz which have historically (thousands of years - not just hundreds) been used to guard sheep (not "herd" sheep - these dogs just hang around with the sheep when the shepherd is away and make sure that no nasty buggers come to kill the sheep). The Coplinger study focused on flock guards like the Kuvasz. In a nut shell, one dog protecting a single goat from a pack of wolves displayed serious signs of anxiety due to lack of confidence to deal with an entire pack of wolves. Once another dog was placed with the same dog to work as a pair to protect the same goat - both dogs displayed remarkable instinct and showed no lack of confidence to perform their work. Rarely are flock guards used singularly - they are most effective in pairs, drawing confidence from each other and working as a team to watch all sides of the flock (one dog will remain with the flock while the other may give chase). Bear in mind that none of the work that flock guards do is "trained" - it's all instinct.
!

so what your saying is I have a good excuse to get a second dog and it can be backed up scientifically. LOL
Your dogs are beautiful Learn something new everyday... I love big dogs just can't have them ... Do a lot of people think they are Great Pyrenees ?