Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lycra wraps for Autism, Patterns? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lycra-wraps-autism-patterns-t202995.html)

GreatStarter 10-18-2012 08:46 PM

What amazing things they keep coming up with to help kids/people with autism function. The internet is such a wonderful resourse. I so wish this info would have been at our fingertips when my children were young. Excuse my spelling errors-my brain fog is very thick tonight.

Kat

redbugsullivan 10-19-2012 04:52 PM

Update, the first prototype was knotted to determine correct size. Smiles from the kids made it worth the effort. Now I need to figure out how to provide adjustments that will not adhere to other types of fabric (like the hook part of velcro), or add bulk. My student's is stitched up and ready for class. I have staff and parents waiting in line for a fitting for their child's "hug-wrap". Prayers for wisdom and guidance would sure be appreciated!

Neesie 10-19-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5597929)
Update, the first prototype was knotted to determine correct size. Smiles from the kids made it worth the effort. Now I need to figure out how to provide adjustments that will not adhere to other types of fabric (like the hook part of velcro), or add bulk. My student's is stitched up and ready for class. I have staff and parents waiting in line for a fitting for their child's "hug-wrap". Prayers for wisdom and guidance would sure be appreciated!

If you're adjusting at the ends, you could use two large D-rings, for a fastener. Years ago, many belts had this type of fastener. There's tension enough, to hold it closed, yet also opens easily.

QuiltE 10-19-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5597929)

That is such good news! As you said, the SMILES are great payment!

How about?? .... use a large buckle that you can pull the fabric thru in a loop ... so that when you pull the bulk of the fabric thru it almost plugs it and then holds it in place.

How do they tie/hold those sling wraps that babies hang on the front of their Mom?
It must have some easy way to get in and out without a major strapping ordeal.

******Looks like Neesie and I were typing at the same time ... she got the better "name" for the buckle affair I was thinking about! :)