Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Machine felting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/machine-felting-t131906.html)

writerwomen 06-20-2011 01:12 PM

While I was laying on the end of the couch trying to breath from what ever is in the air this year, my husband came down and decided if I couldn't sleep maybe I'd like to watch TV. He turned on Sewing with Nancy- which I've found you can watch full episodes on line of at my convenience.
Anyways- the topic was Machine Needle Felting. After watching that I'd love to get my hands on one of those machines or maybe convert a regular sewing machine into a felting machine.
Has anyone here tried machine felting- what do you think?
Do any of you own the machine what's your opinion?
Would like to hear what other have to say.

Katydid2 06-20-2011 01:19 PM

I purchased one this past spring - a very artsy lady was selling the one that her husband converted. It is a basic mechanical machine and once converted can never be a "sewing" machine again. She said he had to go a long ways back into the machine to switch things out. When in JoAnns this past weekend noticed they have a new one - believe Simplicity brand - that was selling for $229. Was glad to see it there because they had replacement needles. I find that I don't use it much - Think you can do just as well with the Clover brand "hand" felting tools with a lot less of an investment in case you don't like. My local machine distributor says they sold the one they had on display and haven't had any requests for one.

hobbykat1955 06-20-2011 04:06 PM

I bought one ER10 from Husqvarna Viking abt 3 yrs ago...Abt a yr ago I broke open the box and gave it a try...Put it back in the box and there it sits in the closet.
Abt a mth ago I found a DVD at Joann's on machine felting and watch it...Interesting but yet the machine still sits..
Don't waste your money...it's a novelty and unless your into allot of felt art pieces that's abt all you can do with it...Though some of my friends use it to make bigger pieces of batting when needed from their little cut pieces. I'd rather just buy batting...

Pam B 06-20-2011 07:27 PM

I have a Viking felting machine. I played with one at a workshop I attended and had alot of fun with it. I bought my machine on sale about 3 years ago. It is still in the box. :( Impulse purchase, obviously. If you have kids, or grandkids...I bet they would have fun with one, though. I keep telling myself that I need to get it out and use it.

hobbykat1955 06-21-2011 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I have a Viking felting machine. I played with one at a workshop I attended and had alot of fun with it. I bought my machine on sale about 3 years ago. It is still in the box. :( Impulse purchase, obviously. If you have kids, or grandkids...I bet they would have fun with one, though. I keep telling myself that I need to get it out and use it.

Pam you and I bought at the sametime probably when they had that great sale on them, trying to get rid of them...And yes, Impulse...

SuperiorShore 03-25-2012 07:31 PM

Hi!

Do you still have this machine, by any chance? If so, would you be interested in selling it?

Thanks!