Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   This made me smile (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/made-me-smile-t139788.html)

Gatormom3 07-24-2011 05:41 AM

Brings me back to my childhood!! Thanks for the smile :-)

Lindsey 07-24-2011 05:42 AM

I like to hang my wash out. I do darks first then colors and my whites last. that way if I don't get done I can throw the whites in the dryer. I also hang by the shoulders but i put them far enough over the line so as they don't give humps. I don't clump them together unless I see I am running out of pins. I don't hang out towels. plus my lines are not in a circle to conceal other items of clothing lol. I wash when i have time or run out of clothes, I also remember using a ringer washing machine. We lived in the city when those rules were in effect. I also remember the girl who lived with us (kinda like a foster child)got her arm caught in the ringer. Does bring back memories though.

JabezRose 07-24-2011 06:04 AM

Still line drying here in the summer or they get hung on the big ol wooden fold out rack. Run them through dryer a few minutes first to remove hairs and wrinkles, then out they go. Some things need a touch up with the iron, but most are good to go when taken in, put on hangers and hung in closets. It is relaxing to be out there hanging, lookin up at the sky, birds planes, and flutterbys is a relaxing job. The old ways are still the good ways.

P.s. if someone sees my unmentionables hanging out there, they have to be on our property to see them and they deserve what they get. If they go blind, it is their own fault for looking.

MS quilter 07-24-2011 06:05 AM

I soooo remember that!!

nunnyJo 07-24-2011 06:07 AM

boy, did you bring back losts of memories.

nunnyJo 07-24-2011 06:09 AM

by the way, you forgot the pole in the center to help hold the line? that was the fun part? ha

MargeD 07-24-2011 06:23 AM

I especially remember #8, however, #6 brought fond memories to me of frozen sheets hanging by an indoor clothesline in the living room. We had to walk through the clothes to get anywhere in the room, but aahh the wonderful fresh air smell. There's nothing like it, especially getting into bed with freshly washed sheets.

DebsShelties 07-24-2011 06:27 AM

UH OH it's Sunday, I am doing laundry and will be hanging it up to dry when it's done - am I in trouble?

Owllady 07-24-2011 06:37 AM

My mother is 92 and still likes a lot of her washing to be dried on the clothes line. Of course she did not grow up with a dryer. She does have one, but likes the fresh smell of the outdoors.

almodent 07-24-2011 06:40 AM

i dont own a dryer and have never seen the inside of a laundry mat. all of you should sleep on a air dried sheet just once, and the towels really absorb the water from your body. i wouldnt haveeit any other way. and, oh by the way in the winter sometimes they stay out for days and im not that old just another memory of my mom doing the same thing my 2 children wash their cloths and bring them here to hang them out now they can carry the same memory every time they smell the clothes that were dried outside