Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   made my first Bow Tuck purse.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/made-my-first-bow-tuck-purse-t152303.html)

Lorettan 09-12-2011 02:26 AM

made my first bow tuck purse yesterday, and while the instructions were very easy to follow and it came out pretty good for the first try....using the fusible fleece made it increadibly thick! some of the stiiching is messed up because of the thickness. is there anything else that anyone has used to solve this problem? like maybe just interfacing or something? i want to make another one, but not if im gonna have to fight with it like i did this one.

Joy Higdon 09-12-2011 02:44 AM

Love to see the answer to this also.

heather1949 09-12-2011 02:45 AM

Can we see a pic of your bag please.

niizh 09-12-2011 02:54 AM

Did you use Pellon fusible 987. I did not think the pellon was thick. Guess "thick" is relative. I am planning on using warm and natural batting and adhesive spray for my next one.

Lorettan 09-12-2011 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by niizh
Did you use Pellon fusible 987. I did not think the pellon was thick. Guess "thick" is relative. I am planning on using warm and natural batting and adhesive spray for my next one.

yes! that might work...

QuiltE 09-12-2011 03:57 AM

I just bought the pattern last week, and see that it calls for fusible on both the lining and the outer layer. When I made a different purse, the fusible was just used on the one.

For those that have made bow tucks ....
Do you think it needs the double layer of the fusible??
Or would one on the outer fabric be adequate?

Xstitshmom 09-12-2011 04:14 AM

I would like to see the answers too because I felt it was a bit thick as well with double Pelon

Lorettan 09-12-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

I just bought the pattern last week, and see that it calls for fusible on both the lining and the outer layer. When I made a different purse, the fusible was just used on the one.

For those that have made bow tucks ....
Do you think it needs the double layer of the fusible??
Or would one on the outer fabric be adequate?

thats what i was thinking...maybe leaving out the one layer of fleece will make it better...i dont know

MDMPanther 09-12-2011 05:58 AM

I've made several Bow Tucks and I kinda like having the fleece on both the inner and outer layer....To me, it gives the bag more body, but I can see not having it on the lining, but be sure there is a sturdy support in the bottom. The very first one I made, i used a heavyduty fleece and had a difficult time with it then went to the Pellon as instructed....used my workhorse machine and a "sharp" needle to get through all the layers and it worked like a charm....esp when topstitching at the end!!

mzmama 09-12-2011 07:27 AM

I Used fusible fleece on the outer fabric, cause you need to quilt it then I used a medium weight fusible stablizier on the inside. I think it works great.