Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mail Carriers Food Drive (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mail-carriers-food-drive-t122930.html)

ptquilts 05-14-2011 08:32 AM

if you miss the PO drive you can always bring the food to your local pantry. They will appreciate it during the slack months between big food drive events.

carhop 05-14-2011 03:58 PM

I live in Ocala also and the post office always get a lot of food. Our Publix food stores give them bags to put in your mail box just before their drive for foodI put out two bags and give when I go to any car shows. The Publix here make bags of food at thanksgiving and Christmas you can purches whe you are shoping. The people in Ocala are very generous.

annyroony2 05-14-2011 03:58 PM

We don't have the mail carriers food drive this year in our area. However, I volunteer two days a week at our local food pantry and believe me we appreciate every can and box of food we receive. So take my word for it - every donation can and will be used.

FancyFoot 05-14-2011 04:26 PM

I put mine out this morning :) :) :)

SherriB 05-14-2011 04:41 PM

I had forgotten until I saw our neighbors. I was worried it would rain and put it into a plastic bag also, but thankfully the mail carrier passed before it did.

jdiane318 05-14-2011 06:20 PM

I volunteer at our local food bank and we serve over 300+ pantries in 28 counties, providing over 1,000,000 pounds of food a month. All you have to do is go to Feeding America.com and read about the latest study in hunger in America. Our food bank also helps the schools with the Backpack program where children are given food every Friday in a backpack to help them with meals over the weekends and holidays. We will be having our Hungerthon the 1st weekend in June.

TonnieLoree 05-14-2011 06:25 PM

Oh no! I forgot about it. Since I don't have a car and the post office is just a block away, would it be okay to drop off the bag there on Monday?

damaquilts 05-15-2011 04:52 AM

I just rearraged the pantry here at my brothers. He buys stuff and forgets about it. it was crazy How many cans of soup do you need? I put out soup, V8juice(he had 2 cases) corn bread, pancake mix and I don't know all what else. 2 bags worth. I know what its like not to have food. At the time I knew nothing about the food pantries. There was one point we were eating tomato sandwiches 3 times a day. Someone dropped off a big bag of tomatoes one day.

Roberta 05-15-2011 06:32 AM

I left my bag in my mailbox yesterday. Usually the Post Office will include a card with your mail announcing the drive but this year, nothing. There was no notice in the papers, and I ended up having to call the city near us to find out when the drive was. It appears they missed a huge opportunity here and the need is so great.

luvstoquilt 05-15-2011 07:58 AM

I was very disappointed to see only 1 other neighbor in my lovely subdivision put food out for the postman. Our area has so many people who have lost homes, jobs, etc. Our food pantry is working hard to keep up...lines keep getting longer is seems.