Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Making pot holders.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/making-pot-holders-t284448.html)

Geri B 12-15-2016 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by judy363905 (Post 7719074)
Question. ... I am wondering which direction do you put the silvery side of the Insulbrite when you use two layers?

Judy in Phx, AZ

my question too! Even if one uses one layer, which way does the silver face...toward heat source, I'm thinking, but not sure.......

pflum1 12-15-2016 05:21 AM

http://www.nancysnotions.com/categor...e+potholder.do
This is sewing with nancy site on how to make pot holders using insulbrite.

nativetexan 12-16-2016 09:14 AM

if you use Insulbrite, test some in between some fabric. iron it and see which side the heat goes to. then make your potholders. i can never tell which side is the right one. i test it first.
if you make casserole cover carriers you would want the heat to stay on the side the dish sits on to keep it hot.

CindyA 12-21-2016 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by judy363905 (Post 7719074)
Question. ... I am wondering which direction do you put the silvery side of the Insulbrite when you use two layers?

Judy in Phx, AZ

Yikes! Two things. First of all, I misspoke. I didn't use Insulbrite, afterall. I used "Insul-Fleece, metalized mylar insulated interfacing." Byt I'm assuming they're pretty similar products. (?) The Insul-Fleece package shows it being used for lunch bags (to keep things cold) as well as potholders. The package describes it as easy to sew through - and it was! $5.95 per package (27" X 45"). Secondly, I think it's been 1 1/2 years since I made my potholders so I may be wrong, but I think I sewed the Insul-Fleece with the silvery side down and the cotton side up (both layers the same way). Two layers of the Insul-Fleece, then the bottom of the potholder was one solid piece of cotton fabric, then the top was a pieced top (Ohio star, for one of my potholders). I then did a binding with a loop on one corner (all of this was kind of a pain). I used brightly colored "new" fabric (Tula Pink, Kaffe Fasset etc.). They are fun and I've enjoyed using them. Post pics if you can! :)

judy363905 12-22-2016 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 7723840)
Yikes! Two things. First of all, I misspoke. I didn't use Insulbrite, afterall. I used "Insul-Fleece, metalized mylar insulated interfacing." Byt I'm assuming they're pretty similar products. (?) The Insul-Fleece package shows it being used for lunch bags (to keep things cold) as well as potholders. The package describes it as easy to sew through - and it was! $5.95 per package (27" X 45"). Secondly, I think it's been 1 1/2 years since I made my potholders so I may be wrong, but I think I sewed the Insul-Fleece with the silvery side down and the cotton side up (both layers the same way). Two layers of the Insul-Fleece, then the bottom of the potholder was one solid piece of cotton fabric, then the top was a pieced top (Ohio star, for one of my potholders). I then did a binding with a loop on one corner (all of this was kind of a pain). I used brightly colored "new" fabric (Tula Pink, Kaffe Fasset etc.). They are fun and I've enjoyed using them. Post pics if you can! :)

Thank you Cindy, I am printing your information and keeping it with my Insul-Brite (this is what I have on hand) so I will have information handy for next potholder making.

Judy in Phx, AZ

craftymatt2 01-01-2017 04:53 PM

love to make these, i use the insulbrite as well, i believe i use two layers and I think i just put them on top of the other and have not had a problem.

CindyA 01-13-2017 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by judy363905 (Post 7724104)
Thank you Cindy, I am printing your information and keeping it with my Insul-Brite (this is what I have on hand) so I will have information handy for next potholder making.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Judy, you are welcome. Come back here and post pictures when you do more - and let us know how it goes!

tranum 01-13-2017 08:11 AM

And I use ONE layer of padding (fleece, insul brite) because my potholders are 2 layers of fabric (padding between) then layers of 4 squares (folded in half) fabric over that. (put 4 folded pieces around all sides-raw edges together, fold to center, overlap the 4 just like closing a cardboard box) A pair requires 12 squares @ 9". Sew all around, trim, turn right side out.

I make lots from "not so quilt-worthy" fabric and donate to a charity that deals in setting up households for the needy. There is a tutorial but I don't know what it's called.