Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mama Racoon likes our grub :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mama-racoon-likes-our-grub-t137194.html)

moonwork42029 07-12-2011 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Mama Raquel (my DIL named her) and one of her 3 babies.

We know there's 3 as we've seen them one time last week ... they followed her to the porch and I think she scolded them as they took off in a flash when she turned around and looked at them...naughty babies.

Anyway, last night Mama Raquel comes to eat and shortly afterwards this little critter joins her after a noisy chittering across the yard calling for her. She allowed it to climb up the banister and eat with her.

When Mama was done eating she jumped off the picnic table (have to feed at night up high so the skunk doesn't come and stay...again) and left, leaving the baby on the banister. It looked around for a bit and then came headfirst down the corner post and followed her.

Was too funny to watch them.

MissM 07-12-2011 06:38 PM

they are so cute..the little rascals

Painiacs 07-12-2011 07:06 PM

You actually leave food for them?? Wow

valsma 07-12-2011 07:10 PM

You ever tried feeding them marshmellows or peanut butter? SO funny. I love racoons and love watching the little rascals when we come across them while camping. They can offer many amusing minutes.

moonwork42029 07-12-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
You actually leave food for them?? Wow

Actually we leave food out for the "night time" outside cats. Then we found out a skunk was visiting our porch so we had to pay dearly to have it hauled off and released. We started putting the food up on the picnic table to discourage other skunks from visiting. (not working so well so far...still have 1 that thinks he needs to visit often)

We had major major flooding this spring and all the animals seem to have lost their homes in the woody areas along the creeks and rivers and moved inland. We live at the very western edge of Kentucky and have many little creeks in our neighborhood so we figure it's not their fault they lost their homes and places to eat.

We tried to avoid feeding them but we have several feral cats we have fed for a few years that only come during the late night hours and didn't want to have them go hungry.

We have hauled off many possums and plan to relocate the raccoon babies when they are older but I found out today their range is 10 miles...yikes that is a long way to have to worry about them coming back.

Until then we have a wild kingdom on our porch that has given us quite a few laughs.

coloradosky 07-12-2011 10:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos and story. Love seeing the babies. Even baby skunks are adorable.

dogpursemaker 07-13-2011 12:04 AM

Oh how cute! I haven't seen our baby coon yet, but my daugher has. I think it's funny how slick your mama looks. Ours is all fluffy! Aren't they fun to watch? Our showed up due to outside cat food too. When that runs out, it's off to the squirrel feeder! Thanks for sharing your picture :)

ShowMama 07-13-2011 07:55 AM

Several years ago I worked with a man whose house sat right next to a creek. Raccoons would come to his back porch and eat his dog's food. So, he started handing out raccoon treats....animal cookies! Although it was dangerous, he got them so used to him that they would take the cookie from his hand. He absolutely loved those raccoons and was so pround he would show photos to everyone just like if it were his grandchildren. I heard that he passed away a couple of years ago and I've often wondered who is feeding his raccoons now.

LAB55 07-13-2011 08:21 AM

They are cute & soooo funny !!

Thank you for sharing with them & sharing the photos !! :-D

renee765 07-13-2011 05:56 PM

They are amazing little critters. I have a screened in porch off the kitchen, with french doors that open up to the porch. Sometimes, at night, I'll leave one of the french doors open so my two Maine Coons can have 'an evening on the porch'.

Apparently there was an opening in the screening, and one night I was standing in the kitchen, turned to look at the doorway, and there was a huge racoon starting to just mosey into my kitchen.

In my infinite wisdom, I said to the racoon "You have to go. You can't come in here." (Thankfully, no one else was in the house with me but the cats, so there are no witnesses.)

I kid you not - the racoon looked at me after I said this, and apparently decided I wasn't stable enough for him to visit, so he turned around and calmly walked out.

Sometimes I wonder about myself.