Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Marine being deployed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/marine-being-deployed-t161640.html)

Rita's mom 10-19-2011 11:09 AM

I was wondering if anyone has could give me some info. on what you can do for a marine who is about to deploy? My daughter and her boyfriends best friend is home for 2 weeks and when he returns to CA he will be deployed right after that. I don't have any experience with the military so I was wondering if some of you could give me some guide lines as to what we can or can't do to support him while he is gone. (he doesn't have support from his own family so I would like to make sure he gets some from us) I am not sure what can be mailed, how long it takes, or what projects there are out there to let them know we care. I see alot of you have family in the service so I thought this might be a good place to get ideas. Thanks so much.

Jim's Gem 10-19-2011 11:18 AM

Best way to mail to them is to use the Flat rate boxes from the USPS. They have a special rate for military. You will get a military address to send to. He will appreciate packages and letters. We would send our daughter news magazines, the sunday comics, Tea, cause there was plenty of coffee but she's a tea drinker, we sent her favorite candies. Some personal products that she could not find there. My daughter was on a "larger" base so most things she could get herself. She would order herself books and dvd's from Amazon. I sent her a quilt which she loved having with her. Others will have great ideas too!

maxsoncreations 10-19-2011 11:25 AM

flat rate boxes~! my bro is a marine and two of his best friends. We send them those little pre made macncheese and pasta cupthings. Things you cant find there. Instant stuff. Homemade stuff always rocks!!!Hard candys that dont melt. Its pretty hot there. Card games! Notes from kids, colorings and stuff mean ALOT to marines.

raedar63 10-19-2011 11:28 AM

Depending on where he is going and how much room he has ,most have very little especially the Marines,they still live in condemed barricks right here in the US, some when deployed live in a tent with others, some have little plywood like shelters. I just kept cards,letters, news from home and assorted snackes and things. Many have access to computers and can comunicate easily. Some however depending on their "job" in the military may only have access to a computer once in awhile. When My son was in he was too tired to walk to the chow hall so I sent lots of food he could prepare with hot water, oatmeal, raman noodles etc.It really depends on their likes.

It is important to support those who don't get much in the way of support, My son asked me to write to a girl that didn't have support, now three years later we still wright letters at least once a week and she has been to my house once, She has become a dear friend to me. And I know my support means the world to her. I am glad you will give this young man a link to home....

Peckish 10-19-2011 11:47 AM

Depends on where he's at and what he likes. I've adopted several soldiers over the years and usually the adopt-a-soldier organizations have great wish lists. You should be able to find them easily online. Some of the things not listed earlier are beef jerky, instant drinks you mix with bottled water (such as Mio or Crystal Light), and baby wipes. Chocolate and candy bars are discouraged.

Mariposa 10-19-2011 11:48 AM

Please have the Marine also sign up with AnySoldier.com. It is a neat site. They have lists of things OK to send, as well as a list of soldiers you can send/write to. Lots to see on there.

Peckish 10-19-2011 11:51 AM

Here is a list I got from the Soldier's Angels organization.

http://soldiersangels.org/uploads/su...lier5-2010.pdf

Annaquilts 10-19-2011 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by maxsoncreations
flat rate boxes~! my bro is a marine and two of his best friends. We send them those little pre made macncheese and pasta cupthings. Things you cant find there. Instant stuff. Homemade stuff always rocks!!!Hard candys that dont melt. Its pretty hot there. Card games! Notes from kids, colorings and stuff mean ALOT to marines.

We do the same for my little brother (Army) He really likes the notes and pictures from the kids. He also wanted a small flash light, black gloves, kimchi flavored ramen, energy bars etc. He most appreciated the fleece Army blanket (pannel Walmart) and the drawings, notes and pictures from the kids. I made sure to put in stuff like food he could share and also have the kids write notes to his army brothers. It would be nice if you get the marine's likes and dislikes when it comes to sending food stuff. My little brother was not big on candy or cheese type of stuff but wanted lots of energy bars and and ramen. He had a hard time keeping his weight on and hydrated.

wyoming_quilter 10-19-2011 12:14 PM

Asked my DH since he's a marine. He said playing cards, magazines, greeting cards, favorite treats. Basically anything that would remind them of home was always appreciated.

Murphy 10-19-2011 12:47 PM

My son always said favorite treats were appreciated, BUT you must send enough that they can be shared (smile).