Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   May I ask a hat question here? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/may-i-ask-hat-question-here-t119905.html)

quilterpam 05-01-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jskbloomers
When I was growing up, we were required to cover our heads in church (Episcopal). I had the cutest hats and elaborate veils. Duel purpose-It was for respect and you really couldn't have a bad hair day when it was covered. I miss those hat days as my hair gets thinner................

me too!!!

quilterpam 05-01-2011 04:10 PM

Making hats was a hobby of my Mother's. Once she claimed she missed the end of the Kentucky Derby because she was trying to memorize a hat she saw...LOL

sherriequilts 05-01-2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
Fergie's daughters had the worse looking hats. The blue and the beige.

Ditto. I don't think they get a lot of constructive guidance from their mother (not intended to dis Fergie), but you'd think someone could have helped them out. However, the young have minds of their own, I am afraid.

Julianna 05-01-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Linsoblu
I liked the hats on the ladies and yes it's sign of respect. Jackie Kennedy always wore a hat. I wish we would start dressing better here in the USA there was a time you didn't travel without looking your best now you see people looking very grabbing. Some of them look like they jumped out of bed just in time to get on the airplane.

Yes! I am all for less casual attire, especially in the workplace.

debbieoh 05-01-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I think around here hats are a lost art:)

Think after seeing some of them I'm glad its a lost art here.Fregie's daughter looked like the wicked step sisters in Cinderrella

Pins n' Ndls 05-01-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
Got me. But my mom said that the ladies were supposed to wear hats to the wedding so...

And white gloves ?

BobbiG 05-01-2011 05:12 PM

They really looked kind of frumpy, didn't they?

KS quilter 05-01-2011 05:51 PM

We always had a new hat at Easter when I was growing up.
That's been awhile..like 65 or 70 years ago. After I married seems hardly anyone wore them. However, about 20 years or so ago, at the request of my husband (he really
likes to see women wear hats) I did buy about a dozen. Then
after a few short years, I began to fee conspicous when I
wore a hat, because everyone else at church dressed really,
really casual. We go to a Baptist church and the ladies
there all dress quite nicely, so I do wear them again from
time to time. Not so much in the summer as they are a bit
warm. I am not alone, others wear them also from time to
time. It is disturbing to me that at weddings, funerals
and special occasions, that people don't just dress casual
it seems some dress "just plain sloppy". If it is all they
have I could accept that, but I know they could do better.

quilter1943 05-01-2011 06:04 PM

I could see the head bands on some of them.

Originally Posted by JJC

Originally Posted by gramacheri
How in the world did some of the ladies at the royal wedding keep their hats on? They were on the front of their heads or hanging off the side. They must have been glued to their hair or something. (and WHAT were some of them thinking when they picked them out??)

Some of them looked like they were attatched to a head band and yes some of them were very different looking.

Dee 05-01-2011 06:20 PM

When I was young we'd wear hats and gloves to church.