Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   maybe not the right place about thread use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/maybe-not-right-place-about-thread-use-t266529.html)

anniesews 06-17-2015 12:43 PM

maybe not the right place about thread use

Is it possible to use serger thread in the new Husquvarna small quilting machine? Would this kind of thred work OK?

Prism99 06-17-2015 03:28 PM

Some people use serger thread to quilt. However, most quilters don't want to use it.

If you look at it closely you will see that it is quite fuzzy compared to regular sewing thread. This fuzz creates a lot of lint. People who use serger thread to quilt typically clean the bobbin area at every bobbin change to keep the machine clean. Lint in a machine is bad news in terms of long-term wear, servicing requirements, etc.

Another reason to be wary of serger thread is because it is a weak thread that breaks more easily than regular sewing thread. This would be a problem especially if your quilting lines are far apart, which puts more stress on the thread during normal wear and tear.

Finally, if the small quilting machine you are talking about is high speed (as most frame quilting machines are), you are likely to experience a lot of thread breakage while quilting with serger thread. High speed machines require thread with higher tensile strength than serger thread.

So, yes, it's possible to use serger thread to quilt with (as long as it doesn't keep breaking on you), but there are reasons to choose better quality thread for quilting.

Homespun 06-17-2015 04:24 PM

My Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter didn't like serger thread but my HD Singer works like a charm with it.

quiltorelse 06-17-2015 04:35 PM

I was told to use Maxiloc thread in my Mega Quilter. It worked just fine. Just remember to clean it after each quilt.

Geri B 06-18-2015 04:32 AM

Like above server thread is not mfgr the same way sewing thread is, because it's end purpose is so very different from sewing thread...definitely mixing apples and oranges.....

toverly 06-18-2015 04:35 AM

MY DS purchased a lot of serger cones at a rummage sale for me. I have used it on wall hangings but it isn't preferred on quilts that get a lot of use. It is very very linty.

NJ Quilter 06-18-2015 04:37 AM

I don't machine quilt but I do piece with serger thread all the time on my Viking Platinum. No issues yet!

ManiacQuilter2 06-18-2015 04:43 AM

I wouldn't use it on a newer machine. This thread was produced for serger machine. It is on a cone specifically design for use on sergers. I would contact the person you bought the machine from and see what they recommend you use. When I bought my Bernina, I was told to use Mettler Silk wrapped thread. That was back in the 90s but I still use that thread with no problems.

TacoMama 06-18-2015 05:12 PM

I wouldn't use serger thread to machine quilt. It does have way too much lint!