Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Microchipping Your Pets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/microchipping-your-pets-t245650.html)

caspharm 04-24-2014 11:26 AM

I have adopted pound babies (cats) and chips were included in the adoption fee. My vet would always check that the chip was there. If he had found that it was gone, I would have gone ahead and get my cat chipped if it were not, because even inside animals can end up outside. Some animals will figure out a way to get outside regardless of what barriers are in their way. :)

I have also heard that most vets now have the multi-chip scanners and can read all the brands.

Chis2 04-24-2014 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by lclang (Post 6688966)
Microchipping has not caught on real well here it seems. We had our dachshund tattooed on the inside of her hind leg. We do not have a fenced yard but she has been taught the perimeters of our yard and our neighbors are amazed that she stays in our back yard without a fence. Most of the time one of us is watching but she knows she is to stay "here". We do have one neighbor that she especially likes and he is very good about not talking to her or urging her to leave the yard. I think she would go if he called her.

Beware. I had a sheltie that never left the yard ever. Until one day I let him out to relieve himself and to my horror, he decided to chase a car he grabbed at a wheel and his head got run over just that quick. One minute we had a lovely dog and the next minute we were preparing to bury him. They can't be trusted. There are too many things out there to lure them into a dangerous situation.

Sandygirl 04-24-2014 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chis2 (Post 6689666)
Beware. I had a sheltie that never left the yard ever. Until one day I let him out to relieve himself and to my horror, he decided to chase a car he grabbed at a wheel and his head got run over just that quick. One minute we had a lovely dog and the next minute we were preparing to bury him. They can't be trusted. There are too many things out there to lure them into a dangerous situation.

OMG!! You poor thing!!! Yep, it just takes one time...sadly.
sandy

madamekelly 04-24-2014 05:05 PM

$24 here in Oregon.

dee1245 04-24-2014 07:40 PM

Our county put into law a year ago on Jan. 1 that all dogs have to be chipped. I called my vet and was told that they wouldn't require it until it was time for the next shots, which I have since done. It costs $40 here.

sewbeeit42 04-24-2014 07:50 PM

A friend works in a vet's office. She pointed out that animals with microchips are not put down at most shelters as they really try to locate the owners. After some of the nation's disasters pets were returned to those owners who they were able to reach due to the microchips We had it done to our pet.

toverly 04-25-2014 04:13 AM

We have microchipped our indoor only cat. She has gotten out once thru the garage. Luckily we found her 3 doors down under a neighbors boat trailer. It was a scary moment but hopefully if they had caught her they would have taken her to the vet.

Sewnoma 04-25-2014 12:39 PM

Funny, I had the same thing happen...my oldest dog's chip stopped scanning recently (she's almost 13 and was chipped when she was about 2). We opted against re-chipping her though; she's an old lady who never leaves home and nobody is going to steal a giant, elderly, half-blind mutt. My two younger dogs are much smaller (and are also rescued mutts) and their chips are working fine. They were all chipped by Home Again.

coopah 04-25-2014 03:41 PM

Well, never thought about having the microchip checked. When we adopted Nibbs, we changed the microchip info with the company, but I never thought about checking to make sure it's actually there! Thanks for letting us know.

DOTTYMO 04-25-2014 04:05 PM

I have my dogs microchipped. Freya was spayed at the same time my older dog was being spayed to keep her subdued as she was only 6 months. Both were fine after the ops. During the operation they chipped Freya after the insertion and could not find the chip they tried a second again thought it was unusual to have 2 faulty chips so number three worked. Each time she goes for her yearly injection they check them.they scan her all over but still only find one.

The vet was amazed I hey kept disappearing