Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Microsoft Scam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/microsoft-scam-t226133.html)

Jazzmyn 07-19-2013 02:08 PM

Microsoft Scam

Several months ago there was a Microsoft Scam going around, where a person calls you on the phone and says they are from Microsoft and tells you something is wrong with your computers. Then they tell you that you need to enter numbers or something so that they can straighten everything out. If you did what they wanted they would have access to all your information Banking etc.

Well a little while ago the phone rings and my husband answers.....the caller ID shows "private number" the guy says he is from miscrosoft and something is wrong with our computers. My husband says "I don't have a computer, I do everything with a calculator" the guy hangs up. Guess that is one way to get rid of the scammers. HA!!

Every time I hear or see about a scam I tell my husband so he is aware of what is going on since he is the one that usually answers the phone....he knows NOT to give out any info.

nativetexan 07-19-2013 02:24 PM

I try telling mine but he forgets what I said in five minutes. we get one about medical emergency stuff I must press a number to order or not to order. I press Off!

quiltsRfun 07-19-2013 02:34 PM

My DH answers them in a gibberish made up language. That usually does it.

ManiacQuilter2 07-19-2013 02:36 PM

I guess that is what makes dial up slow and safe. They can't access it !!! You have to be so ahead on things now a days. Wonder how many people fell for this scam. Thanks for informing us of what is happening.

Crqltr 07-19-2013 03:18 PM

They called me, at seven in the morning. Usually I am used to being up and at work, but since surgery on my neck I have not been sleeping until at least 3, if not later. So seven is early! I knew it was a scam and did a little yelling of my own and hung up. Just got back to sleep...another call. Only this one was not in English and I am sure it was not a sales call!

mighty 07-19-2013 05:24 PM

Wow, what will they think of next????????

sparkys_mom 07-20-2013 03:47 AM

I don't even answer the phone if I don't know who it is ... and sometimes I don't answer it when I do know who it is. :D

jhoward 07-20-2013 04:12 AM

We've been getting this call for months. The caller is difficult to understand, due to a heavy accent. We keep hanging up, they keep calling back! I fear for those who fall for the scam.

Lori S 07-20-2013 04:19 AM

I got this call a few months back.. I was very polite and kept them talking, I finally interrupted them pretended to be talking to someone in the room, and said "is that long enough .. did you get the trace? " Are the police there yet". Never heard from them again.

ptquilts 07-20-2013 04:51 AM

You are not safe even on dial up. They are trying to get you to go to a website and download something, I think. Here is the best way to handle it. (if you are mischievous) --

Pretend to go along with everything they say. Pretend you are doing what they tell you to do. (Don't really do it, of course.) After a few minutes, say "WAIT a minute - there is a error message that popped up on my screen!"

"What does it say?" they will ask.

"It says, WARNING, the person on the other end of the phone is trying to rip you off!"