Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   mincemeat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mincemeat-t317109.html)

lynnie 12-20-2021 07:55 AM

mincemeat

does anyone know what is mincemeat?

Anniedeb 12-20-2021 08:08 AM

The mincemeat I grew up with with always home-made, and I avoided it at all costs. It's a combination of chopped fruit, various kinds of meat. Beef, pork, venison, whiskey or bourbon, shortening, spices, etc. My grandmother used to make it. It was served in a pie crust, either whole pie, or individual portions. Today you can find it pre-made in jars, or many local specialty shops have it.

lynnie 12-20-2021 08:19 AM

thank you.
now i know why i never had it when i was younger. I'll keep away from it now.

Tartan 12-20-2021 08:19 AM

My Mom made mock mincemeat no meat involved. Apples, raisins, citron, orange rind and spices…cloves, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon…it was delicious! Oh for a sliver of my Mom’s mincemeat pie at Christmas!

Doggramma 12-20-2021 09:38 AM

We use it in some Italian Christmas cookies. My husband took some to work and people wouldn’t try them because of MEAT in the name. There isn’t meat in it anymore.

QuiltE 12-20-2021 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8526175)
My Mom made mock mincemeat no meat involved. Apples, raisins, citron, orange rind and spices…cloves, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon…it was delicious! Oh for a sliver of my Mom’s mincemeat pie at Christmas!

Tartan .... Exactly where my taste buds go, when I see/hear the mention of mincemeat!!!
Also, with maraschino cherries in the mix.

Lynnie ... you'd surely love our version!!

ptquilts 12-20-2021 02:47 PM

I love mince pie!! Joy of Cooking has a great recipe for mock mincemeat, no meat in it.

dunster 12-20-2021 03:01 PM

I just made a big batch of mincemeat cookies. There's no meat involved, and they are delicious.

Tothill 12-23-2021 09:53 AM

Mincemeat is like a sweet relish or chutney.

We make green tomato mince meat. Grind up the tomatoes with apples, add raisins, currants, brown sugar, spices, vinegar etc. Cook it down, then can it. It is always better a couple years old, the flavours really mellow out.

If you look at historical recipes they did contain meat and or suet.

I like mincemeat tarts, I find a pie is too much mincemeat, I like it in small portions.

juliasb 12-23-2021 11:59 AM

It has been years since I made Mincmeat Pies. It was to rich for my kids and most of the adults didn't care for it. It is expensive to make so I stopped making it. It has raisins, chopped apples, dates. little chunks of beef and some of the dripping from the cooked meat. Some people use other meats but my preference is beef only.
Store bought fillings is fair. I used it once but it is not as rich as homemade fillings.