Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Miracle Gro (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/miracle-gro-t164575.html)

quilterj 10-31-2011 02:14 AM

Can or would you use miracle gro dirt that says for inground plants and veg. (garden soil) for indoor plants? I need to transplant my pony palm tree plant.

Painiacs 10-31-2011 02:27 AM

I have with no problem!

AlwaysQuilting 10-31-2011 03:03 AM

Yep

grann of 6 10-31-2011 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Can or would you use miracle gro dirt that says for inground plants and veg. (garden soil) for indoor plants? I need to transplant my pony palm tree plant.

I think the only problem is that it makes the pots heavy. I used it to fill a low spot in my garden outside. The stuff for indoor plants usually has more filler to keep the pot lighter and also allow for good root growth within the pot. But dirt is dirt. Go to it.

emmamarie 10-31-2011 06:05 AM

I won't say it won't work,but I always use miracle grow for potted plants.

ladyshuffler 10-31-2011 09:32 AM

Sure can I have done it and NO problems at all!!

Chasing Hawk 10-31-2011 09:34 AM

yes, thats what is made for.

Next spring we are digging up my front flowerbed and adding to the border. Because the rabbits devoured my garden last winter. They ate my evergreens and my decorative grasses.

We use plain bagged potting soil, and add a B-12 transplanting solution. Then we fertilize the flowerbeds and lawn 3 times a year.

leiladylei54 10-31-2011 09:35 AM

I've used it without any problems. Is it a pony tail palm tree??? Watch out...that tree gets big if you let it!!! Ours was so huge we couldn't move it and was happy when the tree trimmers accidentally broke it. Of course...it was outside and in a huge cement pot but it was over 30 years old, too.

quilterj 10-31-2011 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
I've used it without any problems. Is it a pony tail palm tree??? Watch out...that tree gets big if you let it!!! Ours was so huge we couldn't move it and was happy when the tree trimmers accidentally broke it. Of course...it was outside and in a huge cement pot but it was over 30 years old, too.

Yes it is a pony tail palm tree. A small one right now. I got it from my mothers funeral back in june. I need to transplant it. I bought a small pot and a bag of dirt and realized that I needed a bigger one. My brother inlaw gave me the garden dirt and my bag is for the house plants. So it should be ok to mix the dirt shouldn't it?

Greenheron 10-31-2011 07:58 PM

Do NOT use the garden soil for a pony tail palm unless you mix in perlite and/or sand. The pony tail requires excellent drainage. A cactus mix would be ideal. It is NOT a palm, more of a succulent.

Just do an online search for pony tail palm for complete information about their requirements.