Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Misses sizes in stores (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/misses-sizes-stores-t186398.html)

damaquilts 04-18-2012 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B (Post 5149319)
I think you will find plenty of Misses sizes in your Kohl's store. It is those of us who are Women's sizes who generally have trouble finding things. I get so tired of the Women's things looking like something my grandmother would have worn. I just don't get why we can't get the same cute things like in the Misses sizes only with a little more fabric to fit Women's sizes?

I am with you. We are NOT our grandmothers generation. I always look at womens sized things in the store and I swear they look for the ugliest fabric they can find and make clothes in womans size. While I don't want to wear the little sundresses my DD does,although I would if I weighed 125 like she does, I would like some nice looking clothes.. And why when they make something I like do they discontinue it. LOL ...

coopah 04-18-2012 04:52 AM

Boy! The Women's size thing really gets me, too! I am fluffy lady and don't want to draw attention with huge floral prints or animal prints. It's disgusting. I wear things until they are really disreputable looking, but don't like shopping for clothes. It's a real downer if you have to wear a woman's size...

skowron5 04-18-2012 04:58 AM

I like the fluffy lady. I am going to tell DH that one. I buy all my plus sizes online which is o.k. if you can get the right size and don't have to return them. I find that Woman Within stays true to the size they say.

May in Jersey 04-18-2012 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 5149210)
I can't resist saying, "I'd like to have your problem."

Me too, LOL!

May in Jersey 04-18-2012 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by skowron5 (Post 5150435)
I like the fluffy lady. I am going to tell DH that one. I buy all my plus sizes online which is o.k. if you can get the right size and don't have to return them. I find that Woman Within stays true to the size they say.

Glad to hear that Woman Within stays true to size because I'm thinking of ordering some basic pants and tops from them. Ordered 3 piece outfit in my size from Just My Size awhile ago and had to return everything as they all were way too big and the pants were about 10 inches too long.

Been searching local shops and online for months to find a dressy outfit for granddaughter's wedding. Lucked out at a local store that was closing and found a great good looking jacket to wear over my dressy black pants and shell. One granddaughter married a year and a half ago and I wore a black and white jacket over the black pants and shell. All I need now is another cute and age appropriate jacket as still another granddaughter is planning her wedding.

damaquilts 04-18-2012 05:28 AM

I ordered from Woman within and didn't have great luck with some of the things they went in the wash and came out 2 inches smaller.and yes I did wash on cold and air dry.. I do have 3 tshirts from that order that I can still wear. It seems that I am not shaped for womens sizes for the most part. They are always tight in the bust and arms and shoulders and huge around the middle..I find mens t shirts fit better. I am trying to think of ways to fancy them up.:-)

Rose L 04-18-2012 05:42 AM

Well ladies, I bit the bullet and lost the weight (#70) to get from Women's sizes to Misses sizes and guess what??? There still isn't anything cute to wear in the stores, lol! Seems I need to get even smaller as all the Misses clothes in my size are picked over. I like the idea of finding things that are good fitting and then ripping to use as a pattern. Paper patterns are just too much work and too much disappointment most of the time. In the mean time...South Beach has done wonders for me so I'll stay on the beach!

NJ Quilter 04-18-2012 06:11 AM

A friend and I were just having this conversation the other day. She has the opposite problem than most of us as she is a size 2 petite in most things and just turned 62. She and her husband were in Macy's the other day and he was flipping through some clothing racks. Looked at some of the clothes there and said how hideous they were. I have been looking for some summer dresses for several years now but I don't want to walk around looking like I'm wearing a shower curtain! I'm 'fluffy' enough but not overly so and can generally wear misses sizes but the styles/fabrics are just too hideous for words. Thank heavens I'm not working and needing to look like a person these days. Jeans and t-shirts/sweat shirts cover me for most things. When I get 'dressed' thankfully I have some older outfits that are still in decent condition!

Hemlock Tea 04-18-2012 06:16 AM

I don't know if it suits your style, but I just bought a new work wardrobe at JC Penney for under $200- 3 pairs of pants, 4 tops, 2 camisoles, and 3 cardigans- lots of cute basics- not too trendy but not boring same old stuff. They recently changed their pricing scheme so you don't have to chase sales- everything's already at its best price, until it goes to the clearance rack. You can check their website for a calendar of when stuff goes clearance, so you're never guessing.

May in Jersey 04-18-2012 06:17 AM

NJ Quilter wrote "Thank heavens I'm not working and needing to look like a person these days. Jeans and t-shirts/sweat shirts cover me for most things. When I get 'dressed' thankfully I have some older outfits that are still in decent condition!"

Think I've been retired too long because my decent outfits all seem to have had it. I tried to get at least one nice outfit for each season but think I've fell behind and all I have are OK stuff like jeans and tees to wear everyday and lots of 'house clothes' or old sweats. Got to get myself into gear and get some new stuff. May in Jersey