Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Moisture Control In Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/moisture-control-sewing-room-t312611.html)

Windwalker 09-26-2020 12:17 PM

Moisture Control In Sewing Room

My husband is giving up one of his storage buildings to give me my own sewing cave. It’s separate from our house with a concrete floor and few windows. We are trying to figure out how to handle moisture control since it won’t have central heat & air. My fear is rust setting in on my machines. We live in the south with lots of rain which leaves us with high humidity.

Suggestions please.

juliasb 09-26-2020 12:25 PM

I have used a dehumidifier in homes that had moisture problems. Maybe something like this would do the job.

bearisgray 09-26-2020 12:50 PM

I was also going to suggest a dehumidifier.

Remember to empty it often - or have it connected to a drain.

Does not do much good when not running.

bearisgray 09-26-2020 12:51 PM

Also - leave breathing room between and behind your stacks of fabric.

tallchick 09-26-2020 01:07 PM

I also suggest a dehumidifier, I run one on every floor during the summer it helps my central air run more efficiently & keeps my home much cooler and makes me far more comfortable. In the winters it’s the opposite, I run small table side humidifiers to keep from drying out, my skin and my sinuses appreciate it!

Barb in Louisiana 09-26-2020 04:35 PM

I live in the Deep South too. I use a dehumidifier that has a pump so that it empties itself. It's wonderful! You do have to have an exit for the water. I have a sink in the room, so mine goes down the drain. Before I got the humidifier, I got a humidity gauge at WM and was astonished at the humidity in the room. I, also, have an air conditioner/heater unit in there that I use when I am sewing or quilting. When I am using those, I turn off the humidifier.

grannie cheechee 09-26-2020 05:10 PM

You could get a window unit that has heat and air conditioner. My friend uses this in her garage, and in the summer it pulls the humidity out. With this you don't have to worry about empting water. Her fabric has never smells musty.

Snooze2978 09-27-2020 04:05 AM

As my sewing room is in the basement of a 1900 house its not insulated as the newer home are. I keep one of those gadgets that gives you the temp and humidity near my machines so I know. It gets pretty dry in the winter time so I fill a washtub with super hot water to put moisture into the air so I don't get zapped plus I have rubber mats along my quilt machine. For summer time I keep a floor fan running most the time and have my dehumidifier running at 50% humidity. So far so good and I've been down here for the past 10 yrs now.

aashley333 09-27-2020 04:57 AM

Walmart sells a moisture absorbing item that you hang and it collects moisture in an attached bag-dispose when full. I placed one in the a/c return area because of condensation accumulation.

SusieQOH 09-27-2020 05:22 AM

If you're in the South won't you need some AC in that room? I'm in Ohio and I would die w/o it.
Also the dehumidifier sounds good.