Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The more the merrier? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/more-merrier-t316474.html)

sandy l 09-27-2021 03:10 AM

The more the merrier?

Went grocery shopping yesterday. It's getting harder and harder to find some things and an over abundance to choose from in other things. The brand and flavors of canned cat food that acceptable to our two has just about vanished from both the grocery store and the pet stores. When I asked about it the store mgr said they keep ordering it, but it just is getting shipped. Needed some dryer sheets, well the brand I use now has 5 different scents, 3 different sizes of boxes, and sheets with or without pet hair repellent.
And I'm not going to get started on the toothpaste aisle! Sheesh.........

jmoore 09-27-2021 03:20 AM

If you watched the morning news today, they were talking about the log jam of containers that have been shipped and just sitting in harbors to be unloaded. One of them must be filled with toothpaste…

lberna 09-27-2021 11:13 AM

Add yogurt to the list. There's regular yogurt, Greek yogurt, almond milk yogurt, goat milk yogurt, soy yogurt, etc. And most of them come in full fat, low fat, non-fat, less sugar. And on top of all of these varieties, add organic to the mix. It’s a maze in the yogurt department.

craftymatt2 09-28-2021 07:37 AM

It seems to me that things are still backed up all over, I know our stores, are not filled to capacity, a lot of empty shelves still. Hopefully that will change soon.

lberna 09-28-2021 08:19 AM

There is a shortage of long haul drivers. Many, many reasons: the pay is bad, medical problems crop up from sitting long hours, people just don’t to be away from family for up to 10 days at a time, just to name a few. The situation is only going to worse as the long haulers retire.

Tartan 09-28-2021 09:21 AM

We are going to have to learn to adapt to the new normal. It’s not as if we have a choice.

Jingle 09-28-2021 01:54 PM

I have noticed people are starting to hoard some products as they did last year. It only makes shortage worse.

peaceandjoy 09-28-2021 05:43 PM

You never know now what you'll be able to get. Most of what I'm buying in the grocery is made in the US, so not in the cargo containers that are waiting to dock. But supply chain issues and lack of truckers is definitely problematic.

We've had to change the breakfast cat food (wet) and will soon have to change the dry as well. Frustrating, as Cooper needs oral care. Science Diet is the only one I can find now, and last time we tried it, he wanted nothing to do with it. One of our past cats had to have teeth cleaned by the vet every couple of years, and it's very expensive as they have to be sedated.

I've come to realize that we've become pretty spoiled in the US - we've been able to get pretty much what we wanted when we wanted it. Having to wait or make substitutions is not something we are used to anymore. It reminds me of when I was much, much younger.

Onebyone 09-29-2021 05:56 AM

I always try to buy food grown in the US and there is no shortage just more expensive now. Non food products I can live with any brand. I don't think as a country there is anything wrong having the people used to having what we want when we want it. Why should we give up what we have because others can't have it anyway according to their government. One item I find is ridiculous to have so many choices is light bulbs.

PurplePansies 10-06-2021 02:32 AM

I buy my pet food from Chewy. Try there for you cat food or Amazon. I've only had one instance where my dog's food wasn't available (about 3 months ago.) She's allergic to chicken and on a diet. They did have the non-diet type of the same brand, so I bought that. I have been stocking up from them, though, as I know this supply issue will only get worse toward Christmas. She gets really sick from chicken, so I can't just buy her any kind of food.