Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   More time - why don't we seem to have it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/more-time-why-dont-we-seem-have-t290920.html)

bearisgray 09-03-2017 08:28 AM

More time - why don't we seem to have it?

With all the labor saving devices that have been created (and are common in many households) - such as automatic clothes washer, clothes dryer, automatic dish washer, microwave ovens, coffee makers, computers, etc etc etc

It seems like we had more time for attending church, visiting, and playing (pick-up type) games "way back when" than we do now.

There was even time to do "chores" like ironing, baking, and "real" cooking.

I am trying to figure out why/how this has happened. We don't seem to have that much meaningful face-to-face time with people any more.

Even voice conversations have been replaced by texting.

I think we are losing the ability to interact with people because of all the distractions that we have allowed ourselves.

Has "stuff" and "organized activities" become overly important in our lives?

Your thoughts?

CookyIN 09-03-2017 08:41 AM

Generally speaking, women's sole work was housework. So it was a full-time job but also a job that she was able to devote her full time to. Also, most women didn't have a car, so they went shopping once a week on Friday night or Saturday with the whole family. Going back into further generations, many people literally worked themselves into an early grave.

CookyIN 09-03-2017 08:42 AM

As for too much technology and too little human contact, absolutely. Although in past generations we couldn't have been having this conversation, could we?

SusieQOH 09-03-2017 09:02 AM

As far as stuff goes- I'm immersing myself in the minimalistic way of living. It is something that I feel will free up time for more important things to me. I just don't want all the "stuff" that I used to think made me happy. It didn't. I'm trying to get my husband on board but it's not easy. I've read several books on this and have used a lot of the tips. It's a process, can't do it all at once.
Technology- I love it. I really have no desire to go back to the old days. I try to think of what my priorities are and go from there. We can be as old-fashioned or modern as we wish, really. Technology makes our lives a lot easier in many ways. But there are many things in my life that are old-fashioned.

Tartan 09-03-2017 10:07 AM

We all have too much stuff to take care of. Past generations had a mother or extended family living together so chores were shared. Most families are scattered farther apart today for work. Gone are the days when all your family members lived and worked in the same town or area.

Faintly Artistic 09-03-2017 10:16 AM

I think about this from time to time as well. Several things come to mind...we have more stuff these days which means most women work outside the home in order to own more. It also means we have more to maintain. People tend to spend more time driving to work as well. TV/internet consumes a lot of people's "spare" time. I haven't watched TV in nearly 30 years and don't miss it one bit. Now we have tv/internet/entertainment we can carry around in our pockets...(I do have a smart phone, etc, just wish people weren't so glued to them). We also live in a society that isn't really interested in knowing neighbors/helping others/etc for the most part.
So, Bearisgray, if you are ever in Arizona, drop in. I will probably be home, will welcome you in, put the kettle on and muffins in the oven and we can sit and chat. Bring your handwork with you:thumbup:

lynnie 09-03-2017 11:02 AM

I have my designated days. Monday I quilt with Anne and THursdays. Tuesdays, I quilt with Jeanne at her house. Wednesday, I quilt with a group, Friday, I go to lunch and play games with my condo friends. Sat and Sun is hubby time, unless something is good, then i'll do that. so i'm kinda of organized in that fashion. I love having my day and week full. I don't know what i'd do if I didn't have my days planned. I still find time for other things, but I don't have a fancy phone either. I have an old fashioned flip phone, so when I go to dinner, I enjoy it. I see all these peole, all ages on the hone constantly. it's very annoying. Kids all lay games at dinner, they have no idea how to interact at a restaurant. they are playing games or with friends on the phone all day.

JJBlaine 09-03-2017 02:35 PM

I read an article some time ago about how our "time-saving" gadgets have increased or standards of hygiene and cleanliness so much that we actually spend more time cleaning than previous generations, and it is so true! When I was a teen, I lived with my grandmother on a farm where she grew up.

My grandmother would get up in the morning, dress in the same work clothes as the day before, and braid her hair. The she would go out and get the milk, eggs, and some vegetables from her garden. After that we had breakfast- coffee and leftover bread from the night before with some honey or jam. She would start cooking one big meal to be ready at midday, and set some bread to rise.

In the afternoons, there occasionally was some canning to do, or an animal would be butchered and need to be packed up for the freezer, but relatives always came to help and share in the bounty with big tasks like that. Otherwise, the chores were usually done for the day, and she could while away hours doing crochet or embroidery, and watching her "shows". Dinner was leftovers from lunch with fresh bread she had left rising since lunchtime.

The wooden floors were given a cursory sweeping daily, but rarely mopped, and never polished. The area rug was taken out every month and beaten-no vacuuming. Bed linens were washed monthly. Knickknacks were sparse, so dusting was minimal. She had two sets of work clothes for the entire week. On Saturday nights, she would bathe and iron her clothes so she could look her best for church the next day. Sometimes, on the way home from church, she would stop at the store if she needed something, but that didn't happen every week.

During my time there, I was actually mocked as a "princess" for taking a bath and wearing clean clothes every day!

I'm not particularly high maintenance, but the hour a day I spend on hygiene and my appearance is more than my grandmother spent in a week. I do more laundry in a week than she did in a month. I spend at least 2 hours a day more on cooking, shopping, and other errands, and spend at least 5 times the amount of hours on basic cleaning.

Jingle 09-03-2017 05:46 PM

I think a lot of us have more dust collectors. The appliances we have need to be dusted, cleaned. We just have more stuff in general than we had when I was younger. Now I am trying to get rid of some stuff or at least put it in closets.

Now retired I want to make as many quilts to donate that I can. My Husband has never played games so the computer is good for that. I have about as much time as I want.

slbram17 09-04-2017 02:53 AM

I am at the animal shelter daily...sometimes 12 hours when laundry is heavy. I have very little excess time. I volunteer by the way.