Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   For more warmth? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/more-warmth-t308031.html)

bearisgray 11-15-2019 01:35 PM

For more warmth?

Double layer of batting?

Or use two quilts/blankets/comforters?

I think I would go for using two "thinner" coverings instead of one really thick one.

When I was growing up (back when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth), "heavier" - as in weighing 8 pounds instead of 4 - seemed to mean "warmer."

However - those quilts were washed very very very seldomly. "Freshening" was about as "clean" as they got. They would be put on a clothesline - the dust beaten out of them - and if it was winter - some snow might have been brushed on and off them. Did not want them to get "soaked" - because that would have taken a looooong time to dry the quilt.

dunster 11-15-2019 05:21 PM

When it's really cold I forsake my quilts for a feather comforter. When it's not so cold I layer two quilts.

TeresaA 11-15-2019 05:24 PM

I love using 2-4 quilts. As I warm up, I can de-layer. If all the layers are in one quilt, it isn't so easy to take one layer off (requires a seam ripper, LOL).

quiltingcandy 11-15-2019 06:21 PM

When I was growing up it was a flannel sheet, a blanket, and a comforter on top. When we visited my grandmother she had quilts that were the wool army blankets used as batting. Living here in So. Cal. it's a sheet and one quilt. It's very rare I need more than that.
I did one quilt with a double layer of batting and it was not easy to put together - I ended up having to tie it.

Jingle 11-15-2019 06:59 PM

I have used two layers of batting. It was very hard to quilt. The thought of it reminds me never do it again.
I sleep under a quilt and top sheet year around.

PamelaOry 11-16-2019 01:31 AM

I inadvertently used two layers of batting when I did a machine embroidered quilt block set. The machine embroidery process used a piece of batting for each block, then when I had it longarmed, it was sandwiched with another. It’s a terrible quilt, very stiff and heavy. My son never uses it, it just sits on the edge of his bed as a decoration basically. Thankfully, I’ve learned as I’ve gone along quilting and won’t make that mistake on his next quilt. I’ll make new mistakes on this one. :)

SusieQOH 11-16-2019 05:18 AM

I've never double batted but I love layering quilts on me. So cozy.

Pamela your last line made me laugh :D

Rhonda K 11-16-2019 06:37 AM

One layer of batting in regular pieced quilts is quite enough here in FL. We typically use a top sheet and seldom add a blanket.

Pam,

I have used two layers of batting(80/20 poly) in the embroidery quilts. One layer in the block and another layer when quilted which adds extra definition. I found the meandering needs to be more open to prevent that stiff feeling. But these quilts are heavy.

The next embroidery quilt (dinosaurs for GSon) will not have batting in the blocks. It will just have the one layer of batting added when it is quilted.

juliasb 11-16-2019 07:32 AM

I made a double layer batted quilt for DH about 25 years ago. It is still his favorite quilt of all times even though it has worn out a great deal. He still reminds me that it is his all time favorite. It was to heavy for me and I couldn't sleep under it at all. Now we use 2 quilts on the bed each with a single layer of batting. This way he has the heavy feeling he likes and I can sleep under a single quilt or toss it over and sleep under a sheet. Snowy weather conditions and power outages are common here. Having all the extra quilts have been very handy when the power has gone out and it is only 15-20 degrees f outdoors.

sailsablazin 11-16-2019 08:03 AM

How about using a wool batting? It is breathable and is definitely warmer. When I am hand quilting with wool batting, I am so toasty with the quilt on my lap.