Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My 3 baby tortoises (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-3-baby-tortoises-t88896.html)

turtlerouge 01-09-2011 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These little ones survived almost instant hibernation, shock, and me learning how to care for them.
these are called Marginated tortoises. They're land turtles.

The biggest one is called, " Centi" (my dh said it looks like it has a centipede shape on its back)

The 2 biggest one is called, "Bless" (for they're blessed to survived the trip.

The smallest one is called, "Ari" for my friend Aristotle.

leatheflea 01-09-2011 06:25 AM

I was expecting a quilt....LOL I got a good chuckle.

frugalfabrics 01-09-2011 06:36 AM

Wow - you saved them from death? Did you already know how to take care of them? I would have had no idea.

They are adorable little guys.

Feathers 01-09-2011 07:15 AM

Your tortoise' are gorgeous. Many years ago (abougt 40 years) our neighbors were motorcycling across the Nevada desert and found a land turtle crossing the road. They picked it up, put him in the saddlebag and brought him home. They had him for about 15 years and loved him very much. He died rather suddenly without being sick or acting sick so they did some research on turtles via local vets and the zoo. Apparently they suspect the bagged lettuce they fed him MIGHT have had a chemical used in the washing of the lettuce or ??? that had something to do with his sudden demise. They had never fed him the bagged lettuce until the last day...they had always used fresh leaf lettuce so that was the best answer for the sudden death. Just info. Don't know if it's at all valid. Enjoy your new pets. My neighbors really enjoyed their old boy. Theirs loved to have the top of his head rubbed and he liked his feet and legs gently massaged. He'd slowly follow her from room to room so she was always worried about stepping on him but they said he was a wonderful pet and they missed him when he died.

geckogirl 01-09-2011 07:31 AM

How sweet!! Those are a great species of tortoise because full grown they only get 10-12 inches long compared to the several hundred pounds other species get ... But this species can live for 80+ years so I would definitely prepare for that :)

I have seven African spur-thigh tortoises and absolutely LOVE them!!!

geckogirl 01-09-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
Wow - you saved them from death? Did you already know how to take care of them? I would have had no idea.

They are adorable little guys.

There are tons of great websites for people with reptile pets and if you ever have questions you can feel free to PM me! I work at a zoo and my husband has a degree in herpetology so between the two of us and our sources, we would love to help however we can!! :)

Maride 01-09-2011 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by geckogirl
How sweet!! Those are a great species of tortoise because full grown they only get 10-12 inches long compared to the several hundred pounds other species get ... But this species can live for 80+ years so I would definitely prepare for that :)

I have seven African spur-thigh tortoises and absolutely LOVE them!!!

I have one and 2 Russians, 2 Razor Backs, 1 Painted and 1 Aligator Snapper. Can we see pics of your 7?

Maride 01-09-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by turtlerouge
These little ones survived almost instant hibernation, shock, and me learning how to care for them.
these are called Marginated tortoises. They're land turtles.

The biggest one is called, " Centi" (my dh said it looks like it has a centipede shape on its back)

The 2 biggest one is called, "Bless" (for they're blessed to survived the trip.

The smallest one is called, "Ari" for my friend Aristotle.

Beautiful!

turtlerouge 01-09-2011 07:56 AM

Really? boy, would I love to have 1 or 2 of the Sulcatas. but, my dg asked what would happen to them after we die?

CarrieAnne 01-09-2011 07:56 AM

Cute! Are they tiny?!