Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My Cheapness at it again! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-cheapness-again-t225442.html)

IshtarsMom 07-09-2013 08:11 AM

My Cheapness at it again!

2 Attachment(s)
Right now I'm a "make do" quilter, sewist, whatever. I have to plan every purchase and figure out how to have something nice on a very limited budget...don't get me wrong..it is sufficient to our needs as long as we don't have very big needs...LOL I long for the day when I save up enough to make one of the gorgeous quilts I see here everyday. Will I be afraid to make the first cut on this dream quilt when the day comes? Who knows...

Anyway my porch chairs were in dire need of recovering...have had this set since 1986 and it is still good..was very expensive at the time but considering how well it has lasted was well worth it. The colorful sheet isle at Walmart holds a great fascination for me in making things for the house..table cloths, curtain, rugs, etc. This time it is pillowcase covers for the chairs that can be removed and thrown in the washer and dryer. The cats and I are really happy about this washing feature.... The twin sheets are $ 4.47 ea and it took 1/3 of a sheet for each chair plus thread...am going to use the other fabric left over to make a matching quilted duvet cover for the porch swing. Works out to about $1.50 a chair plus thread. So I figure for about $25.00 with batting and all we will have 4 chairs and a porch swing nicely covered and serviceable...Thanks for looking...I love all your beautiful creations.

omacookie 07-09-2013 08:16 AM

Cheapness ?No!! I think you used you creative juices and saved money in the meantime. Love the colors and that they are washable. I see the inspectors agree with me. Hugs

postal packin' mama 07-09-2013 09:02 AM

So did you mean you fitted the "pillowcase" shapes over the cushions, one for top portion and another for bottom cushion, or are they joined in the middle? They look so nicely fitted. Very impressive indeed.

Grandma Bonnie 07-09-2013 09:06 AM

I love your chairs and the covers you made for them look great! And washable is a big plus!! Please show the swing when you get it finished.

IshtarsMom 07-09-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama (Post 6168064)
Wow, they came out wonderfully. So did you mean you fitted the pillowcases over the cushions, one for top portion and another for bottom cushion? They look so nicely fitted. Nice job.

No I made the pillowcase by removing the seams from the sheet then cut a piece 24 inches wide by the length of the sheet...folded it over and sewed side seams, then hemmed...when they are on you tuck the extra under like a too long pillowcase...the long fold holds underneath holds so they don't mess up. Hope this helps...so easy.. unless you screw up and cut the short side like I did on the first one....where was my brain????

bearisgray 07-09-2013 09:16 AM

They look very nice and cheery - and washable is a BIG plus!

Sue Fish 07-09-2013 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by IshtarsMom (Post 6168009)
Right now I'm a "make do" quilter, sewist, whatever. I have to plan every purchase and figure out how to have something nice on a very limited budget...don't get me wrong..it is sufficient to our needs as long as we don't have very big needs...LOL I long for the day when I save up enough to make one of the gorgeous quilts I see here everyday. Will I be afraid to make the first cut on this dream quilt when the day comes? Who knows...

Anyway my porch chairs were in dire need of recovering...have had this set since 1986 and it is still good..was very expensive at the time but considering how well it has lasted was well worth it. The colorful sheet isle at Walmart holds a great fascination for me in making things for the house..table cloths, curtain, rugs, etc. This time it is pillowcase covers for the chairs that can be removed and thrown in the washer and dryer. The cats and I are really happy about this washing feature.... The twin sheets are $ 4.47 ea and it took 1/3 of a sheet for each chair plus thread...am going to use the other fabric left over to make a matching quilted duvet cover for the porch swing. Works out to about $1.50 a chair plus thread. So I figure for about $25.00 with batting and all we will have 4 chairs and a porch swing nicely covered and serviceable...Thanks for looking...I love all your beautiful creations.

They really look wonderful!!

MaryMo 07-09-2013 09:26 AM

I'm amazed at your creativity! and it's not cheapness but good use of resources! That's my story anyhow.

KarenR 07-09-2013 09:33 AM

You are very creative. Cheap by no means. I would say conservative.

Check with local quilt shops - sometimes they have where you pay $5 and then as long as you get it done and show it next time the next square is free. 12 squares at this price. But then you have to figure out what to do with the squares.

mandyrose 07-09-2013 09:35 AM

very nice and you don't find those kind of chairs anymore and if you do they cost a fourtune and are cheaply made