Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My daughter and grandson on news!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-daughter-grandson-news-t174392.html)

mythreesuns 01-06-2012 04:37 AM

Oh how I remember these days of a A.D.H.D child in school... our oldest was a nightmare until we saw one doctor..oh the help he gave us was excellent. He said the one most important part of a child with A.D.H.D.. is clear cut guidelines. Teachers have a rough job as it is, and then to deal with a A.D.H.D child can be rough on some teachers. But they are adults and should know no child (nor adult) is going to respond to being the center of attention in a negative way. The teacher has to stop and think..how would I (or my child) want to be treated in this situation. I am glad your family has brought this issue to light..as this teacher did wrong.

damaquilts 01-06-2012 06:50 AM

Teachers doing this is nothing new. I had an English teacher in high school that decided I was her "pick on" kid for the year. She criticized my clothes, called on me when she knew I didn't know the answer and then proceeded to act like I was just too stupid for words.It was bad enough I was bullyed horribly by the kids let alone have a teacher that did it. I was socially inept, still am, but I was also being raised by grandparents who were abusive , mentally and physically, . I didn't dress like the other kids, I wasn't allowed out to do the things others were doing and was consistantly told at home how stupid and ugly I was among other nasty things. Went to school black and blue many times. But this was back in the late 60's . I am glad someone stands up to teachers who act this way.

EmbQuilt 01-06-2012 06:50 AM

Your grandson is a handsome boy! He should contact the news people directly on their contact us part of the page to get the download.

Each state has a special education department that overseas local school districts, your daughter needs to take her complaint to the state level. Also, there are plenty of free lawyers who would take up this case. The school district will do all it can not to pay.

sewnbug 01-06-2012 08:31 AM

Good for your daughter standing up for her son.

0tis 01-06-2012 08:41 AM

I have a grandson with the same ADHD - he really struggles in school - he is such a bright kid - its amazing how quickly he learns when he has one on one time. I am glad your daughter is standing up to the District - it can be hard to stand up for your rights and look at the lesson she is teaching her son. Good for her and keep us updated.

squires1042 01-06-2012 12:38 PM

Good for your, my son strugggled all the way through school and they wanted us to put him on medication which we refused to do. He was also embarassed and made to read in front of a class and made fun of by a teacher and the students. When he got upset and reacted he was suspended for three days from school. The teacher was never admonished for his behaviour. It wasn't until he got a teacher who realized that he was dyslexic and not ADHD that he started to do well once he had someone who could teach him. Then as soon as he started to do well he was moved back into mainstream and he started to fail again. The principal at the time said he was just lazy and all his problems were his fault. Thank goodness he is no longer there. The end result my son quit school, and although he went back and got his GED it took two times before he could finally pass the english portion of it (reading comprehension). Sadly there are hundreds of kids who get lost between the cracks because the education system is not able to handle them unless they are mainstream.

writerwomen 01-06-2012 02:10 PM

When our oldest was in grade school he befriended a boy with ADHD that could be a hand full but was made worse by a Mom who was a mess and a female principle who didn't like boys in the first place. Our son stood up for him when they harrassed and bully his friend on the playground, assemblies etc. Our son is small in frame but big in heart. Our son suddenly became the target of harassement for defending his friend. In the end we ripped into the school and the Superintendent who tried to claim since he hadn't hired her (the principle or her stooge the police liasan) he wasn't accountable. (in the end both the principal and the police officer were removed as well as other staff who had been put in place to handle such kids)
Part of our calls took part while we were suit shopping in a mall and they were very heated for which we did not apologize. Once off the phone we were approached by one of the sales clearks who said- I wish my parents would have done for me what you are doing for this boy. I was kicked out of school and am now trying to get my GED while working 2 jobs. Never appologize for standing up for your kids When you put people on a pedastal things like this hapen and then you have to knock it out from under them which can be a serious battle

Mousie 01-06-2012 04:11 PM

There is a lot of adhd in my family.
So sad that kids have to struggle with it and with grown adult teachers??? (behaving childishly).
Some things don't change much.
I agree with lots of positive reinforcement and educating this child is the school's responsibility. Stand your ground!

Quilterfay 01-06-2012 09:49 PM

I was one of those kids that could not read. I was teased and excluded by classmates. It didn't help that I was poor on top of that. My grade three teacher humilated me something terrible. When I got to Grade 4 I had the sweetest teacher and she supported me and I began to read. Once I got my confidence up I could read and especially after I didn't have to stand in front of my classmates to read. I remember being sent out into the hallway because I couldn't read. Now wasn't that a positive way to help someone read.

My sons came home and told me that their grade 3 teacher, they each had the same one, was humilating them in front of the class. I went over there and told her she had better never do that again to my sons or she would hear about it. I was so angry at her I could of choked her.
Now my granddaughter is going through the same thing. She is now in grade 4 and is struggling with her reading and math. She has been diagnosed with ADHD and we are having a hard time finding the right resources to help her with these subjects. She is as smart as a whip but can not comprehend these classes. They continue to test her for Autism or some form of it. I just hope and pray that everything works out for her.

So congratulation for your daughter standing up for her son. Sadly we can not rely on the school system to do the right thing for these children.

nancia 01-06-2012 09:49 PM

as a teacher it is difficult at best to be sure each child is getting what they need each day. and as a person it is so easy to make a mistake. sadly, those mistakes affect a child's life . that is the job a parent and a teacher signs up for. let's not forget the human-ness of those performing the jobs and hope for the strength to help them perform their jobs for the best for all. no one gets through life unscathed, but we all hope and pray not to be the one to hurt another, especially a child. i hope the teacher sees his mistake and is willing to correct it and apologize. and be alert to it never happening again. good luck, chris! standing up for yourself, and others, is a good lesson to have learned!
i was a teacher for many years, my classroom was always the first stop on the way into the main stream from educational support. i wanted every child to succeed, and so did all the teachers i worked with. it wasn't all roses. there were struggles. but not one teacher was mean spirited and wanted to hurt the kids. we had bad days, just like everybody else does, but we honestly did our best for each child. the ones that didn't want to work with the kids soon left! the money wasn't good enough to keep you there! you had to feel the reward of a job well done or you just wouldn't stay. i'm sure that isn't true everywhere, but most teachers are teachers for that very reason. they want to teach! to make a difference!