Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My day with a 5 year old! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-day-5-year-old-t63915.html)

Ditter43 09-09-2010 04:28 PM

I didn't sleep well last night....That's nothing new but I usually am able to sleep in and so I don't feel too bad. I was all snuggled down in my bed this morning when I heard a familiar voice, "Grandma?"I raised my head up to see my 5 yo DGD in my bedroom doorway.
Well so much for catching up on my missed sleep. I dragged myself out of bed and we headed for the kitchen. I was immediately inundated with a constant stream of 5 yo chatter as I tried to smile and fix myself some breakfast. By the time we had finished my toast I was awake and needed to go to the bathroom as is my usual morning routine.
I told her to wait for me there while I went to the bathroom, promising to return in a few minutes. I shut the bathroom door and sat down to try to gather my strength for the day.
About a minute later the door opened..."You don't want to come in here" I tell her.
"Grandma",she says in an impatient tone, "what's taking you so long? I'm waiting for you" And again about a minute later "aren't you done yet?"
Well that's how my day went, having a 5yo wanting to play with me all day long. As soon as I got into the five year old mode, it got a lot easier. I wish I could remember all the little gems I heard today. One of the last ones I remember was when she was laughing so hard during a game we were playing and said "I crack myself up!"
Needless to say it was fun being 5 again but now the party is over and the old lady who usually lives in my body has returned. She is reminding me I am not a kid anymore......... :lol: What a day!!!!

B. Louise 09-09-2010 04:31 PM

And what a blessing. I rarely get to see my grandchildren, as they don't live near enough for many visits. I'm sure she's learning lots from you, maybe to love quilts.

Baysidegal 09-09-2010 04:32 PM

Sounds like you had a GREAT day..remember how fast they grow up...

cjomomma 09-09-2010 04:33 PM

Sounds like a fun day for both of you.

Lady Tapioca 09-09-2010 04:38 PM

You'll probably sleep better tonight!

grammyp 09-09-2010 04:40 PM

Oh, I can so relate. We get the grand boys (6 and 3) every Friday. Up with the sun on Saturday, ready to go. The oldest is non-stop chatter, the youngest is a ham. Between the two of them we are worn out by the time they go home Saturday.

SuziC 09-09-2010 04:42 PM

That is exactly how my days are....they keep me young!
My little ones that i care for are 18 mos, 2,3 and 6
Not much time for sewing but a lot of time for Gramma hugs!

bjnicholson 09-09-2010 04:46 PM

You remind me of my MIL. She adored her grandsons. She would babysit any chance she got, and she only lived a few miles away. I miss having that closeness with my granddaughters. I'm in Ohio and they're in Miami, FL. But we have FUN when I do manage to get down there! :-o

luvTooQuilt 09-09-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I didn't sleep well last night....That's nothing new but I usually am able to sleep in and so I don't feel too bad. I was all snuggled down in my bed this morning when I heard a familiar voice, "Grandma?"I raised my head up to see my 5 yo DGD in my bedroom doorway.
Well so much for catching up on my missed sleep. I dragged myself out of bed and we headed for the kitchen. I was immediately inundated with a constant stream of 5 yo chatter as I tried to smile and fix myself some breakfast. By the time we had finished my toast I was awake and needed to go to the bathroom as is my usual morning routine.
I told her to wait for me there while I went to the bathroom, promising to return in a few minutes. I shut the bathroom door and sat down to try to gather my strength for the day.
About a minute later the door opened..."You don't want to come in here" I tell her.
"Grandma",she says in an impatient tone, "what's taking you so long? I'm waiting for you" And again about a minute later "aren't you done yet?"
Well that's how my day went, having a 5yo wanting to play with me all day long. As soon as I got into the five year old mode, it got a lot easier. I wish I could remember all the little gems I heard today. One of the last ones I remember was when she was laughing so hard during a game we were playing and said "I crack myself up!"
Needless to say it was fun being 5 again but now the party is over and the old lady who usually lives in my body has returned. She is reminding me I am not a kid anymore......... :lol: What a day!!!!

Sounds like you had one of my every days.. My lil shadow I call her... But wouldn't change it for the world..

champagnebubbles 09-09-2010 04:54 PM

My days are spent with 2 boys 3 and 18 months They are busy boys :), not much sewing here during the day. My MIL 87 years young watched our 7 year old GD until she started school full time. Her DR told her that's what keeps her young.