Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My DD tatoo (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-dd-tatoo-t218849.html)

Stitch124 04-11-2013 06:24 AM

My DD tatoo

1 Attachment(s)
So my DD who is 28 yr old is getting another tatoo. I really don't like her doing this to her body but she said that this is her way to honor all the strong independent women in her life. Her paternal and maternal grandmothers both loved to sew as well as all of her aunts on my side. I love to sew and plan to teach both her and her sister as well as my grandchildren to sew. They all have their own Featherweight sewing machines to use when they are old enough.

I also have always loved the Dogwood flower, and my fireplace mantel has several dogwood themed items and painting of a dogwood hanging over it. When she was a little girl, I told her about the legend of the dogwood, and cross stitched the legend in a beautiful picture we've had in our living room since then. She's not particularly religious so this must mean more to her than she realizes.

Anyway, she is just as independent and is having the tatoo done today and I don't know where it's going on her, I hope it turns out as pretty as this pic, because it's big and can never be removed! <sigh></sigh>

Tartan 04-11-2013 07:40 AM

It is her body and they are making advancements in tattoo removal all the time. I was in a bridal shop about 4 years ago and they had a little suitcase full of different shades of large bandages that were for covering tattoos. I thought what a good idea because some tattoos just don't look good with some bridal gowns.

Dolphyngyrl 04-11-2013 08:28 AM

Beautiful tatoo

BellaBoo 04-11-2013 09:47 AM

DD got a visible tattoo when she was in college. DH and I paid to have it removed for her graduation present. There is now an ink that can be removed if the person would insist on it being used.

yellowwroses 04-11-2013 10:03 AM

It is beautiful better then what most have. my daughter got 1 of hers removed.

Jan in VA 04-11-2013 10:59 AM

I don't get it; surely I'm too old and from a different 'culture,' but I can not imagine doing this out of "respect". Why not continue the heritage, the tradition, the craft of creating beautiful things rather than just wearing something on her skin to honor her strong female relatives?
I love that we have the freedom in this country to do whatever we wish, though! I definitely support that!

Jan in VA

Jingle 04-11-2013 01:14 PM

I don't get it either. Granddaughter in law and Grandson has them and are visible. Tatoos don't look good on old people, just the way it is.
Tatoos do not signify a strong person of any kind to me. Just the way I think.

mighty 04-11-2013 01:40 PM

My daughter just had one done yesterday, Not much I can say she is 40.

Pinkiris 04-11-2013 01:42 PM

Just imagine the laughs that attendants will get in nursing homes in the future as all of these tattoos start to sag and bag!!

p.s. my son and his wife have them, too!

woody 04-11-2013 02:42 PM

They seem to be all the rage at the moment, a bit like piercings were are few years ago. I really hope the go out of fashion before my children are old enough to get one. I don't mind the ones that can be covered up so much but I have seen ones that are on the throat, face and side of the neck that just can't be covered (unless they wear a ski mask LOL), I really hope they thought long and hard about those ones.