Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My first Band Pillow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-first-band-pillow-t240963.html)

PlanoDebbie 02-12-2014 05:54 PM

My first Band Pillow

5 Attachment(s)
The Band Director at my school gave me two of their old Band Uniforms about 9 months ago to see if I could come up with anything to make out of them, like a pillow. I finally got tired of looking at this uniform hanging next to my sewing machine. I'm pretty sure I just didn't want to work on my income taxes, so this was a good diversion. I've never done anything like this before and thought it turned out pretty good. I have one more to make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461999[/ATTACH]Here's the uniform before I deconstructed it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462000[/ATTACH]Here is is as a finished pillow. I cut a 13" block from the front to start with. The school name came from the sleeve and I simply pressed a seam allowance on the bottom and right sides and stitched it in place. The silver trim around the name patch was salvaged from the collar. I just zig-zagged it to cover up the original stitches in the black patch. The two epaulettes came from the shoulders. I just basted them in place onto my main block. The buttons were sewn back on when it was done. I ironed a fusible interfacing to the back side of the main block for stability like I do with t-shirt quilts. The black border around the block came from the sleeves. I first added fusible interfacing to the sleeves, then cut them into 4" strips.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462006[/ATTACH]This is a picture of the back of the pillow. My pillow finished at 18" square. Fortunately for me, the uniform zipper was 16" long and a heavy duty one. It also had 3 heavy duty snaps on the back, but only the center one remains on here. The back piece wasn't quite wide enough by itself, so I used one of the pant legs to add additional fabric to finish up the back.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462009[/ATTACH]Here it is with the zipper opened. You can see my red pillow on the inside.

I had been dreading this project for the past 9 months because I had no clue where to begin. Once I came up with a plan, it came together quite nicely. Now I'm looking forward to making the other one!

Jennie and Me 02-12-2014 06:04 PM

That turned out so nice! Good job! You sound like me, you drag your feet until you come up with "the plan" and then you're off and running.

Tartan 02-12-2014 06:14 PM

​Super pillow!

Diane007 02-12-2014 06:15 PM

clever lady.... nice

Tiggersmom 02-12-2014 06:19 PM

Great job! You sound like me, dreading.....no idea where to start, then BAM you did it!!!!

lynnie 02-12-2014 07:27 PM

love how you designed this

tessagin 02-12-2014 07:30 PM

Looks great, super job. Lol! on the insert!

Cybrarian 02-12-2014 07:46 PM

Very creative! I bet the Band Director was thrilled!

PlanoDebbie 02-12-2014 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6571537)
Looks great, super job. Lol! on the insert!

That got in there by mistake, and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it in the edit process.

Oh well... :-)

teacherbailey 02-13-2014 04:35 AM

I love how you kept the character of the band uniform! No mistaking that pillow for anything else....LOVE IT!!!!